Anyone still hunting quail?

hunter mike

Reaction score
I have been real busy since deer season but am looking to go after some quail here soon.  My question is there is an area I seen a bunch while deer hunting but now there will be some snow there.  Will this send the birds elsewhere?  If so how far?  Would I be better off findind a area with lower elevation?  Thanks for your responses.

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
Mike,

They should be living just below the snow line.  I went out weds. walked for three hours visited 3 guzzlers one spring and a cattle pond and didn't see a single bird.  The birds definitely don't need water like they did last month

songdog

Reaction score
I ran into a good sized covey (50) Friday.  The birds were at about 3500 feet.  It's pretty rare to get snow in this particular spot but it does happen about once a year.  Even then the birds are still there (maybe nowhere else to go).  The birds up high to get pushed down though.

bloodsports

Reaction score
Was out on Sat. around Taft.  Had easy limits on the quail. Came into several coveys of 50 or more birds.  Also had a few chukar.  Good Luck!!

tinner

Reaction score
hey songdog what are you doing next weekend. i cant ink it yet but i would like to get out to your area next sat, dec 8 i think it is. where did you find those bidrs at 3500 ft. dosen't sound like the same area i met you. any ways if we dont meet have a good holiday.

songdog

Reaction score
Tinner,

Not sure about next weekend yet.  I just got back from where I met you and we jumped a couple of coveys of at least 50 birds each.  Also managed a pair of dove for good measure while we were at it.

Richard

Reaction score
Hello, I went out today and came on dove nope, they were yellow tailed birds.  I had a good time though.Going to El Centro tommorrow.  Hope I get some.

Bill W

Reaction score
Going tomorrow in the Santa Clara riverbottom.   will post the results.

Bill

Edit:  Took Six in about 90 minutes. Should have had a limit.

(Edited by Bill W at 9:24 pm on Dec. 2, 2001)

tinner

Reaction score
i hope to have some luck with the birds and the weather on sunday. it is supposed to rain in the afternoon. that leaves just enough time to get real mad at the birds. i will let y'all know sunday night.

tinner

Reaction score
oh and if you didn't notice, only 4 more to go for the free upgrade. thanks alot jesse

QALHNTR

Reaction score
My buddy said the geese weren't flying in Chino on Sat. so we headed up to HIS spot on Sunday on the backside of Lake Arrowhead.  38 degrees when we got there and the wind was howling.  The wind was even blowing at the bottoms of the draws.  My buddy practically stepped on a group of 5 but only dropped one.  Me - well, my knees are sore, my nose is still running, my bag is empty and it was still a great day.

David

Reaction score
I'm going on Saturday out to the desert to chase the top knots.  Anyone else?

David

Reaction score
That would be me.  I'm headed out towards Victorville, to one of my sweet spots.  We may also go up near the back side of Silverwood lake.  Who knows, how about your self?

bigtroutbane

Reaction score
Tinner,

When is the quail season over?  I want to go when Lindsay and I get back from our 3rd trip to TX.  

How did you do on your exam?

Patrick

Mojave

Reaction score
Soldered up the radiator of my Jeep today, after it sprung about a thousand leaks, as a result of a high-pressure wash after a saltwater bath at Pismo. This allowed me to take my son out hunting dove and quail locally. He has not had quite the season he had imagined, as I have tied his hunting trips to school grades, this year. The rain that has fallen locally has apparently spread the birds out far and wide in the desert. Our first few trips out this season yielded easy limits on quail, as we busted coveys of 100 birds or more, and we had fair success with doves over our dekes. The doves have been flying in large flocks over our house, while we were trying to bring up our grades. Today, we covered maybe 20 or 30 miles of dry wash and dirt roads, without seeing anything, other than tweetybirds and ravens. Dove season will close while we are visiting relatives in Az, but hopefully, the radiator will hold, and the quail will be ready when we return on Thursday.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom