Anyone Traveling for Whitetail this Year?

cjack

Reaction score
I know this is primarily a California hunting forum but I was wondering if anyone has plans to hit the road and go after whitetail deer? Last year I went to south central Nebraska for my first whitetail hunt and I caught the bug. I enjoyed the new terrain and different style of hunting so I've decided to return. I have three farms to hunt within 45 minutes of each other that I will be hunting for 5 days in late September so I feel pretty good about my chances for success.:smiley-mouse:

I didn't draw anything in California so I will be limited to hunting my usual AO and D7 tags. I didn't apply for any elk or mule deer hunts out of state so I figured another trip east was in store. I have spent the better part of June and July preparing my equipment, I got new bow strings and cables, fletched some new arrows, sighted my bow, upgraded my optics and I've been practicing ranging and shooting at extreme angles.

I can't wait for August 19th (D7 archery opener) and of course September 1st (dove opener) the unofficial start of the 2017 season.

Best of luck to y'all this upcoming season!...........Chuck

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
I have never hunted whitetail and I think it is something I should try to do. If I were to try I was thinking about Northern Idaho but so far just thinking about it.
Good luck and I would love to read about your hunt.

cjack

Reaction score
I have never hunted whitetail and I think it is something I should try to do. If I were to try I was thinking about Northern Idaho but so far just thinking about it.
Good luck and I would love to read about your hunt.
Thanks, I'll probably be posting about the hunt while I'm there.

JohnFP

Reaction score
Kinda late this year but if'n anybody would like to try for a Arizona Coues I would be more than willing to help ya.

bughalli

Reaction score
I archery hunt the mid-west most years for whitetails, unless I draw something special in another state. I don't know what the season dates are for Nebraska, but in my opinion you're going very early if only hunting 5 days. A lot of the big bucks are nocturnal in Sept. and stay in relatively small areas. You're much better off hunting the rut. You'll see a LOT more deer and more big bucks. The Bucks will be roaming all day long. The rut can vary from state to state, but I would target something in the first 2 weeks of Nov. for the most action. Put up a tree stand in a bedding area and wait. You can get action any time of day.

I know you didn't ask, but figured I would pass along some advice since it's only your second year at whitetails. Good luck!

..I'll be hunting D6 this year for archery and maybe the AO tag in another zone if I have time. Hopefully Colorado OTC for elk as well.

Last edited:

cjack

Reaction score
I archery hunt the mid-west most years for whitetails, unless I draw something special in another state. I don't know what the season dates are for Nebraska, but in my opinion you're going very early if only hunting 5 days. A lot of the big bucks are nocturnal in Sept. and stay in relatively small areas. You're much better off hunting the rut. You'll see a LOT more deer and more big bucks. The Bucks will be roaming all day long. The rut can vary from state to state, but I would target something in the first 2 weeks of Nov. for the most action. Put up a tree stand in a bedding area and wait. You can get action any time of day.

I know you didn't ask, but figured I would pass along some advice since it's only your second year at whitetails. Good luck!

..I'll be hunting D6 this year for archery and maybe the AO tag in another zone if I have time. Hopefully Colorado OTC for elk as well.
Thanks for the tip bughalli, I'm very aware of the advantages of hunting the rut and know that this hunt is early. Last year I planned the hunt in December of the year before and as fate would have it I drew a premium tag here in California, an elk hunt in Arizona, a mule deer hunt in Utah and I had a pig hunt planned as well. This year I decided to wait until all of my draw results were in before I planned my trip, by the time I started making my plans the premium hunts through most outfitters were booked. The guy that I am using gave me a really great deal, not only is he very experienced but he will be guiding me one on one the entire week in a few areas that proved productive at this time last season so I decided to go for it.

My hope is to one of these years hit the rut however this year I will be giddy just to harvest a whitetail. With the current drought that I am in as far as getting a deer here in California I am not looking to harvest a giant but rather to just be successful.

Thanks again for your input and best of luck on filling your D6 tag and for all of your hunts this upcoming season!

FTTPOW

Reaction score
I hit the road, but it's still in-state. I have plenty of opportunities in my own back yard, but prefer to hunt half the state away where we have a cabin. The woods are bigger and there's normally less pressure. It's just good to get away.

cjack

Reaction score
That's awesome FTTPOW! Wish I had some land in the midwest.

richw

Reaction score
I'm going to Nebraska this year for rifle season opening day is nov 11 its public and private land hunts the tag and lic is only 240.00 that includes one buck and one doe or two does been the last 5yrs and neaver had tag soup

cjack

Reaction score
I'm going to Nebraska this year for rifle season opening day is nov 11 its public and private land hunts the tag and lic is only 240.00 that includes one buck and one doe or two does been the last 5yrs and neaver had tag soup
My license was $122 with required habitat stamp and my non resident statewide archery tag was $242. I also thought the deer tag was only good for one deer, am I missing something?

Either way, best of luck to you and I hope you can make it 6yrs in a row!

julian999

Reaction score
Any general info of area or outfitter? Want to bring my wife and doughter to hunt?
you can pm me if you want . Thanks

cjack

Reaction score
20170925_202303.jpg Finally, my first bow kill, it only took eight years!

KTKT70

Reaction score
Congrats buddy. Way to get it done. You are living the dream. Keep at it. Boots on the ground. BBQ time for sure.

adam32

Reaction score
Nice doe!

I've been to Nebraska 5-6 times for whitetails...it's a blast!

13 deer was the most we've gotten on one trip. 4 guys and my mom that year, she got two does in two shots, bam bam her hunting was done lol

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
Wtg cjack, congrats on your first bow kill good to get that monkey off your back. Fresh whitetail venison yum, yum! Thanks for sharing!......tra

Jake F

Reaction score
Nice! Way to go cjack! Like you have seen me write before..... ANY archery kill is a trophy! That fat doe is going to eat good! Congrats

cjack

Reaction score
I spent 4 more days after my doe kill trying to connect with a buck. I never got a chance at a shot on a buck so the outfitter invited me back in November to get the job done. I had knee surgery yesterday and am hoping that I will be in good enough condition to be able to climb a tree stand in November. I still need to get that elusive bow buck kill!

Thanks all!

Top Bottom