Anyone up for El Centro this weekend?

MarinePMI

Reaction score
Just wanted to put the word out that WBH and I have been kickin around the idea of heading out to the El Centro agg fields this Saturday.  Maybe do a little calling, and more likely plink some belding ground squirrels.  Anyone interested in tagging along/meeting up?

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like a kick A$$ idea. The catfish bite should be starting too.

Unfortunately I have to work all day Saturday (side jobs) so I won't be able to make it, but please keep me posted on any future trips.

smokin54

Reaction score
I myself would love to go but wont be ready for a couple of more weeks. My rifle is scheduled by UPS to be delivered on Thurs. I am planning a trip down there for 2 weeks from saturday.
And for the ones that are intersested the catfish bite was good 2 weeks ago when I got 2 cats @ 10lbs+  and a few more keepers

MarinePMI

Reaction score
WBH,

Which ever you want is cool with me.  How far is that from El Centro?  I need to drop some gunsmithing stuff off at Andy's place.

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
I was thinking you might need to stop by Andy’s place after I posted.  I don’t care El Centro is good I can do so fishing also. McCain Valley is about ½ or 2/3 of the way too El Centro. WBH

MarinePMI

Reaction score
WBH,

Sounds cool, maybe plink some gs's and then go fishing?  Do I need a license for fishing the canals (yeah, I know dumb question, but figured I'd ask).  

Smokin'54, If a rifle is all that's holding you back, heck, I got one you can use.  Let me know what to drag out...

smokin54

Reaction score
Thanks MarinePMI For the offer .
I have been waiting on this .223 handirifle for 2 months and am anxious to get the scope on it and see how it performs. The rifle arrived today and the 2.5x10x50 scope has been mounted,I also got a 45-70 ,30-06 and a 12ga barrel for it .
I will get it sighted here pretty quick and be ready . I am now scheduled to work on sunday so at best this would have been a 1 day trip,
The weekend of may 4th I am going to go and try may hand at calling (never done it) and fill up a cooler with channel cats.
Thanks again

wildbirdhunter

Reaction score
MPMI yes you need a fishing license and a striped bass stamp for fishing the canals don’t ask about the stamp thing it’s California after all. Smokin54 I have an NEF in 223 and have had the best luck with reloads. WBH

Maverick

Reaction score
Are you sure abou the stamp? if you not fishing for the stripers you don't need the stamp. if you hook a striper and release it you don't need it either?

MarinePMI

Reaction score
Well,

El Centro was fun, wish some of you other guys could've made it.  The morning was kinda dull (McCain Valley), WBH and I went to go visit a friend, and well...by that time (after BSing off the tailgate of WBH's truck) it was late afternoon.  We went down to a spot not too far off the border/Great American Canal.  Holy Snikees!!!  I think I burned thru about 50 rds of ammo in the 4:00-4:30pm timeframe!  Any reservations I had about the .17HMR were laid to rest with thte first ground squirrel I connected with.  He ended up hanging from a over hanging limb from a bush at 50yds!  I kinda had to ask WBH..."Did I hit him?!?!?" (I'm thinking to myself "No way, that was just a little too acrobatic for a rimfire round.&quot  Even shots that just creased GS's seemed to take no prisoners...It just said "Thank you very much, now LAY DOWN!"  All in all it was a good hunt, and as WBH reminded me a few times, I'll have to keep this in mind as I will be out of the country for the upcoming few months (more than likely) and will be in a place that frowns heavily upon hunting and firearms.

At any rate, just wanted to put in a plug for the .17HMR as a ground squirrel/other small game cartridge.  It definitely surprised me with it's results.  Wind is still an issue, but hey if "if"s and "but"'s were cherries and nuts, everyday'd be Christmas, eh?  The .17HMR seems to be a cartridge (IMHO) that is definitely worth getting.  Enough said....

Top Bottom