Anyone use a pellet gun last year?

THBailey

Reaction score
As you know the DFG, I guess in an effort to allow hunting for turkeys in the suburbs, made certain pellet guns legal for turkey hunting last year.  Seems like it is not enough gun to me, but I was wondering if anyone had success with one and also, just how did you do it?  Where did you hit it? How far was the shot?  How many were hit but got away?  I have a Sheridan Blue Streak with a little scope that groups an inch at 30 yards and thought I might take a crack at some big toms that fraquent a nearby neighborhood if someone can tell me these things work.  Thanks in advance for the input.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
TH, I've tried shooting crows with a pellet gun, I shot a couple of them from about 10ft, away and it didn't even phase um. I can't emagine a Turkey, that would be funny!!!What do you do? shoot its eyes out them run after them:laffin-yellow:

MBullism

Reaction score
a pellet gun for turkeys?  Why not 22 long rifle for deer?  Doesn't seem like enough gun to do the job humanely on a routine basis.  What brain at the dfg came up with that one?

THBailey

Reaction score
Guys- I'm generally in agreement with you.  There was, however, photos of two successful hunters up in our local hunting and fishing emporium with monster toms and the claim that they got them with the legal pellet guns.  That, and around here, a little east of Sacramento, there are flocks of birds scratching and pecking around in one and two acre residential areas where a shotgun blast is out of the question.  I just would like to talk to someone who gave the pellet guns a try.

(Edited by THBailey at 8:20 am on Feb. 16, 2002)

3toes

Reaction score
That would take a skill level that I certainly do not have.

I guess if only head shots are taken you get him or you miss completely.

Time for someone to invent the compressed air pellet shotgun 240 pellets at a time...

Or a full Auto pellet gun.
Any idea if bows can be used in these pellet gun only areas ????:flame-2:

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Here is a thought, what about a paintball gun, and then freezing the paintballs. Then you could turn up the velocitey. The paintballs are about the size of 50cal.  Just a thought:shootin:

rlwright

Reaction score
I don't think their quite accurate enough, especially frozen. Their certainally powerful enough though, and they are air rifles.

Welby

Reaction score
Just my opinion...

THbailey, I know you wanted to hear from the guys that actually harvested a tom with a pellet gun, but I hope you'll excuse me as I respond to those who have expressed doubts about using a pellet gun to turkey hunt.

A pellet gun may not SEEM to pack enough punch for a turkey, but a good one in the hands of a well practiced shooter is very deadly.

In my youth, I spent my summer days prowling the woods and creek bottoms with a Daisy pellet rifle.  I will not admit to everything I "harvested" with that gun, but looking back I am amazed at the accuracy that little gun had and the power it contained.  I graduated from that pellet gun to a Benjamin Sheridan with enough velocity to rival some .22 caliber firearms.  I still keep one to this day and I have no doubt that that pellet gun has the capability to harvest a gobbler.

I recently shot a pellet rifle that my dad purchased just to "play" with.  It has an adjustment on the end of the barrel similar to that of a Browning rifle equipped with the BOSS tuning system.  In addition, it was equipped with a rangefinder scope.  A little much for an air rifle, I first thought, but after blasting away at a few select targets I came away impressed.  That thing was a tack driver and knock down power was not an issue.

So, yes, they have the capability to take turkeys.  No doubt.  But, I hesitate to recommend them to just anyone.  You have to know how to use them effectively or else you will just end up injuring or boogering up a lot of game.

I only wish Mississippi would legalize pellet guns for turkey hunting.  Crossbows too.

Welby

Reaction score
I just had to respond to one more thing too...

"That would take a skill level that I certainly do not have.

I guess if only head shots are taken you get him or you miss completely.

Time for someone to invent the compressed air pellet shotgun 240 pellets at a time...

Or a full Auto pellet gun."

Back in the early eighties, I remember you could actually order fully automatic BB guns out of some sporting good magazines.  I remember seeing one in person once and that thing was unreal.  That thing zipped no tellin's how many BBs a minute...I dreamed about having one of those things.

I guess they outlawed those too.

THbailey, I am sorry for straying from the intended subject...I just had to say my piece.  Now, carry on.

(Edited by Welby at 2:25 pm on Feb. 18, 2002)

rlwright

Reaction score
I agree with Webly pellet guns are deadly. The crossmans and diaseys from kmart wouldn't cut it, but there are alot of pellet guns on the market that are equivalent to 22LR, as far as muzzle velocity. This is one of those cases where accuracy is the key, coupled with a decent velocity and enough mass, the inertia is deadly. I know from experience that in .177 cal. a 9.5 grain wadcutter will easily take out red tree squirrels from 20 yards, whereas a 7 grain superpoint will result in an eventually fatal injury. The common variable between a turkey and a squirrel in this example is the fact that you have to hit them both in the head. This is also where the accuracy comes into play. Never in my life did I think even a benjamin was accurate enough to consistently make head shots on a squirrel until I tried it. It's surprisingly easy, once you find a pellet that shoots accurately in your gun.  

shaginator

Reaction score
Friend of mine lent me his Benjamin .20 cal Blue Streak and that thing packed more power than I had thought. Add to that the accuracy of the rifle out to 30 yards and that thing could insta-kill any squirrel who chose to invade our fruit and vegetable garden.

Wouldn't be surprised if it easily took down a turkey with a well-placed headshot at that distance. Their heads are probably about the same size if not bigger :D

I hear a lot of good things about Gamo air rifles -- the single pump ones that give you about 1,000 fps.

(Edited by shaginator at 11:48 pm on Feb. 19, 2002)

rlwright

Reaction score
My friend has a Gamo hunter 440. It's powerful for one pump, but the double recoil knocks the scope around to much. I don't know to much about the accuracy we haven't tested it. He's fixed on using the beeman crow killers, which suck in the benjamins. The gamo would easily take a turkey though.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom