Anyone use elk scents?

rockcrick

Reaction score
I just bought some elk estrus urine scent something err another and I was wondering if anyone had experience with using scents for elk. If so, did you find them useful?

inchr48

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I've never been Elk hunting, but I'm sure the more experienced guys will jump in soon. From what I've read, calling is a more used tactic than scent for attracting.

I do know a couple well placed drops of Whitetail Buck-N-Rut scent will get you some looks on an airplane.............

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
My buddy and I use the elk urine wafers, I pin one to my hat and rub another all over my pants and boots, last year I cow called in a small herd of cows and calves and they were within 6 ft of my hiding spot upwind and downwind and even though they knew something wasn't right they stayed around for about 3 minutes , I could have touched them with my bow , they wandered off, I calf called and they came right back so the urine helps, its just another tool but in a tight situation it may give you the edge you need, BUT....you need a strong stomach, I've had them ask me to leave at cafes or at least get my food to go, good luck...hmmmm.. forgot to mention that we also use elk urine soap, sick huh, but we've killed 17 bulls between us so i guess you have to decide if you want human companionship during the season or antlers on the wall.

AZ Jim

Reaction score
Rockcrick,

I suppose using scents could be helpful given the right situation and scent, but from my experience no scent is better than using any scent at all. From my understanding about scents they generally come from farm raised elk. If their diets are not the same as the wild elk the urine will smell foriegn to the wild elk and possibly spook them. On ther other hand depending on the hunting scenario you might create a challenge situation for larger bulls, but in my opinion / experience, I would say that is the exception rather than the rule.

Try using scent elimination products (not cover ups) use the wind and natural cover to your advantage, and use calling appropriate for the situation and you will see results.

AZ Jim

hank4elk

Reaction score
I do use elk and deer scents,but as AZ says you have to start scent free and play the wind.I use Arm &Hammer washing soda to clean gear keep it camp/scent free and rub any local plants on me first. I figure if I can even confuse them at all it can give me an edge. I don't wear hunting gear except hunting,I've had some strangelooks smelling like an elk...and it can wreck an meal,just getting a cup of joe...:confused:.

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
all good advice but where we hunt in Wyoming its almost impossible to work the wind, it seems to swirl most of the time, we do try to work the thermals but out of nowhere a crosswind comes up and then you need all the tools that you have working for you

hank4elk

Reaction score
Use a local product if possible in that area,or try deer. Just make sure its muley scent and not whitetail. I found good local made scents in NM last year and they worked great there,but blew the Tules out here in CA.

easymoney

Reaction score
its almost impossible to work the wind, it seems to swirl most of the time, we do try to work the thermals but out of nowhere a crosswind comes up and then you need all the tools that you have working for you
<!-- / message -->IMHO, working the wind is paramount, all the added smells will be futile if one molecule of human scent makes it to their nose. Added scents and odor containing clothes have their place(look at how many are sold each year), but are not fool proof, they only work so well...
But then again that's why it's called hunting, not harvesting...

Latest Posts

Top Bottom