Anyone using ;Hevi-shot for Turks this spring??

Wild Turk

Reaction score
I saw an advertisement for Remington Hevi-shot turkey loads.  #6s pattern best through my 870, so I want to get the heaviest #6s I can.  They are touted as being 10% heavier with 29% more downrange energy.  Even if they are expensive, I dont even finish a 10 round box each spring.  Has anyone patterned these loads or shot at birds with them??

If anyone would know, it would be the JHPers....

Don Martin

Reaction score
I used Hevi-Shot a couple of years ago on a fall turkey hunt on the Arizona Strip and took what I think was the first turkey taken in Arizona with the shells. That stuff is absolutely deadly! I shot a 20 lb Merriam's with a 10 3/8 inch beard at 35 yards with an old Mossberg 500 pump and it broke both wings, one leg and most of the shot went completely through him! I plucked him just to see how much shot hit him and he looked like Swiss cheese!
Last fall, on the Strip, my lady friend, a first time turkey hunter used a 3" 20 ga. pump and got her gobbler at 35 yards. Stoned him with one shot!!!
Yes, the shot is irregular, but with the density of the shot, it works great!
I have patterned the shells and you won't believe what they will do. Forget a full choke, modified works great...
I know I sound like a commercial for them, but I recommend to all my turkey clients that they use this stuff.
Remington is now taking over the loading of the shells, and they will offer 10 ga loads that I can't wait to try on turkeys in Oklahoma, Missourri and Arkansas in April with my SP-10...
Just my 2 cents worth!
Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Pick up a box and shoot it first before you make any judgements. The stuff is deadly wicked. I patterned some  2 3/4" 12 ga. shells when they first came out and it tore my plywood pattern boards up. My 3" Activ and regular copper plated turkey shells never did this.

I shot some phone books to see about penetration and it was almost double. Later we used the shells on honkers and they were devastating at 40 to 50 yards like Don said. Not only was the pattern tight, the pellets swiss cheesed the geese, breaking bones and wings. Usually I find pellets while skinning ducks or geese, didn't find any with this stuff.

The price is a bit more but you're not shooting box loads like in waterfowl. Where I see this stuff really shining is if for some reason you miss the head and hit the body/breast which is hard to penetrate, this stuff will help insure a dead bird. If you need to follow up with a 2nd shot on a running or flying bird this stuff is your best bet.

Seeing is believing with this stuff.

Tominator

Reaction score
Great arguments both ways. Try this little test; email Hevi-Shot and ask them about barrel damage(don't hold your breath waiting on a reply, they will respond promptly to all inquiries but this one), then email Remington about the same thing, they will respond with a list of don'ts that will make you wonder, lastly, email Browning about using hevi-shot, their barrels are notoriously thin to start with.
Tominator

Don Martin

Reaction score
Tominator:
I know the guy from Polywad who loads this stuff and he says don't shoot em in Damascus barrels, but other than that, don't worry. Like I said, you don't need full chokes either: matter-of-fact in my testing, the more open the choke, the better patterns I got at reasonable shooting distances(30-50 yards).
I'm interested in seeing what Remington says about the stuff,especially now that they are loading it for Hevi-Shot. I have to believe that for them to sell this stuff commercially, they're not worried about problems with guns handling it.
One thing is for sure, its better than steel, and if you could shoot steel in your favorite scattergun, then I wouldn't worry about Hevi-Shot.
I agree Hevi-Shot is not for everyone: no shotgun shell is, that is why I also believe they make chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream.
Don Martin
AWO

Wild Turk

Reaction score
THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT.

I will pattern them and see what the deal is through my 870.

Don Martin

Reaction score
I have sent an e-mail to Remington to see what they have to say about the shells. Just got an e-mail back from Jay Menefee, owner of POLYWAD, INC. who is the guy from Georgia who loaded the shells for Hevi-Shot. He again emphasised that the stuff he loaded with buffer (turkey loads), what he calls "soft shells", would work great in any steel shot approved gun.
I have shot it in my old Mossberg 500, a Winchester 1300 youth 20 ga. and as soon as it is available, will use it in my Remington SP-10. No problems that I can see with either gun..Maybe I'm lucky. I just got to believe that in this "sue happy times" we live in, that if there was a real liability problem out there, that Remington wouldn't have touched the stuff.
Don Martin

ctwny1

Reaction score
I have been using Winchester Supreme shells and it's doing just fine. I see no use in changing. Dead is dead and how do you improve on that?

Don Martin

Reaction score
I fully agree. Refer to my post regarding chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream....same applies to shotgun shells....
Don Martin
AWO

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of squawking about the barrel scratching. Anyone have any sources or pics of barrels to show what it looks like? I'll gladly post a pic of my Rem 870 barrel and mod choke that has approx. 50 rounds of Hevi-shot through it with no problems.

Tominator

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just called and spkoe with Ralph Nauman from hevi shot because they would not respond to my e-mails and questions. This is what I was told:
Three issues surrounding the use of non lead shot:
1. High pressures creating ring bulge around choke.
2. Barell scoring/choke scoring.
3. Pattern density

First, neither the hevi shot factory loads nor the Remington loads are made to shoot at a high enough pressure to cause damage. So, pressure alone will not be an issue in potential damage to the choke.
As many here are aware, several people shoot hevi shot at the NWTF still target shoot each year with up to 4X super full chokes. (.645)

Second, "thousands" of rounds have been fired in testing and reminton found no unusual scoring of the barrel or choke.

Finally, hevi shot has found that too much constriction is possible for their shot and not needed. For that reason, they suggest using chokes such as improved / modified to get the most out of the pattern.

The only question left unanswered: He still said they suggest using chokes made for steel but did not elaborate......

This was posted by a good friend of mine on another board.

My thoughts on Hevi-Shot are this; for me, I see no use for it. I already have the ability to kill turkeys past 40 yds and don't plan on shooting any further than that. The benefit I see to it is for someone wanting to hunt turkeys that doesn't have a gun with screw in chokes and their barrel is modified or less in constriction. Even then, if they decided to stick with the turkey hunting, at $40/box of 10 it wouldn't take long to come out ahead by buying a barrel and choke though.
Tominator

(Edited by Tominator at 5:06 pm on Feb. 14, 2002)

Wild Turk

Reaction score
I emailed Hevi Shot and got the following response.  I told them I have a Remington 870 with a Briley .665 X-full turkey choke, and they said that was fine.  Anyway, the next step is to pattern the stuff with plywood or another material to check pattern AND penetration.  If this stuff is as good as it says, #6 hevishot is the equivelent of #5 or #4 Lead.  It is up to each hunter, but I'm giving it a try.

By the way, a couple of folks said they got no respone from Hevi-shot. They responded to me the following day. Response:

We recommend a .665 choke constriction.  You should be just fine with the configuration that you have. You will need to make sure that your gun is rated suitable for steel.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Environ-Metal Inc.

rmcewen

Reaction score
Don mentioned Polywad earlier in this thread...

...and I'd just like to add that Jay Menefee and I recently teamed up and redesigned his Polywad web site. Also, Polywad's site now includes a user-friendly and secure order entry system so you can now buy Polywad's shells on-line.

Check out the new site at the following links:

• All polywad shotshells

• polywad's Spreader Loads

• polywad's Quik Shok Sabot Slugs

Thanks for the interest in Polywad.

R. McEwen
webmaster for Polywad

Jagermeister

Reaction score
Is this the tungsten - iron stuff? I used it last spring because my friend didn't want lead in his backyard. It patterned very nicely at 20 yards at the range.
Both toms that I called in were dead with head shots when they hit the ground. One of the shots was far out and challenging. I shoot an 870 with an extra full turkey choke. My barrel is flawless after about 20 rounds. I would think that the soft iron makes up for the hardness of the tungsten. Again, don't forget that you don't shoot 1000 rounds turkey hunting. At least not if your limit is 3 a season!

George

IBAfoo

Inactive
Reaction score
I have done a lot of testing and patterning.

I hate to be an add for a company or a product.

That having been said, I switched to loads from this company

http://www.nitrocompany.com/pattern.htm

And I use a choke from this company.

http://www.rhinochokes.com/main.htm

The chokes and loads are designed to work with specific guns. You buy the Rhino choke for your gun and the Nitro load for your gun and that choke.

What happens?

When I test patterned a load at 40 yards with my Benelli I got 60 pellets in the head on one load and 76 with the other load. That compares with 15-20 using the best lead loads or regular hevi shot number 4s out of any choke.

I have shot this load in the field 11 times and have 11 turkeys to show for it, including one that had to be shot at 60 yards which died without flopping.

IBAfoo

Inactive
Reaction score
Here's a copy of a previous post on the same topic. These loads are 4 bucks or so a round, so if I limit out in Oregon and California I shoot 6 turkeys and have spent 24 bucks on ammo.

I also have a SBE, set up just for Turkeys. It's an older one, from 95. I have replaced the barrel and the stock and forearm with camo replacement parts, so it's almost all camo, I just
tape up the parts that are still steel colored. I put an after market recoil pad on it. It also has a Simmons Pro-Diamond scope on a B mount 1.5 to 5 power variable.

Being a big fan of the film "CaddyShack" I call my turkey cannon the "BillyBaroo."

WhoaDog and MikeinSoCo have seen this monster kill birds in it's old incarnation.

I used to shoot a Mad Max .655 choke and use Federal Premium Copper plated 3.5 inch shells with #4 shot. But I kept reading about HeviShot. So last year I bought some #4 and #5
Hevi Shot and put it through my normal full choke that comes with the SBE. I was afraid to try to blow that stuff out a .655 turkey choke without someone telling me that would not blow
up. But I was not impressed with the pattern from the standard full choke, so I stayed with lead.

But now I got a .673 Rhino made especially for Hevi-Shot and Benelli.

So today I took it out and tried it out. First I shot dove loads at very close range to get the scope centered properly. Then I backed up and used my old Mad Max and lead loads. It still
throws lead just like it always did. Deadly to 40 yards, less deadly at 45 or more.

But then I put in the Rhino and the 4x5x7 Nitro Ammo load. Boom! Walked up to the target and could hardly believe it. So I set up a new pattern target and fired again. Two rounds at
40 yards. One round put 60 pellets in the turkey head target, the other put 76 holes in the same turkey head shaped target at 40 yards.
Now to be honest, I don't think Nitro has #4, #5 and #7 pellets loaded in separately to these loads. From what I read about Hevi-Shot, they can't really screen sort it as accurately as
round shot. I would guess they are screening out anything over 7 and under 4 and the load is a mass of pellets from 3 to 7 1/2 with most around 5 or 6. This does mean you have
more pellets that a #4 lead. Anyway, end of story, nothing but a Rhino and 4x5x7
Nitro loads for me from now on.

But wait, there is just a bit more. Back at my car I loaded one more round in and fired at a fresh target at 60 yards. I know, I don't want to hear the bitching about ethics or whatever,
I just wanted to see what happened at 60. 16 pellets in the head and neck, one in the eye, 5 in the veterbrae, turkey would have died hard at 60 yards.

And, if you buy now, there is a tad more. At 60 yards there was a 24 inch circle pattern that was very even and relatively dense. Whereever you put the Turkey head in that 2 foot
area, the bird was almost certain to die. It patterns almost like lead at 40, with Hevi Shot at 60.

Let me repeat, for an SBE, buy a Rhino .673 for the Benelli and Nitro Ammo. Who cares how much it costs, I would buy it a 5 dollars a round given how it performs and how often I
shoot at a Turkey in a given season.

Good luck!

Tominator

Reaction score
Dang, somebody dig some digging for this one, lol. Heck, I load my own HS now for my son's 16 ga and even shot some at ducks already this season through my Sweet 16. I did use a mylar wrap in the wad and there was zero scarring, scratching, etc.

BigDave

Reaction score
Hevi-Shot is great stuff. I tried some 2 3/4 inch #4 and the penetration on 1/2 " plywood
is impressive at 30 yards. it splintered the back and some of the bigger pellets went clean through. The stuff is more dense and quite hard.

The lead #4's would not go half way through the plywood .

Steel #4 is a joke the shot barely penetrated the first layer.

I carry a few hevishot shells when I'm duck / goose hunting. I would use it exclusively
for ducks if it were more affordable.

I keep meaning to get some of those nitro matrix loads in 3.5 for my Nova.

BTW I have a Leupold red dot on my Nova during turkey season. I keep an extra battery taped inside my recoil pad. So I never have to worry about forgetting an extra battery.

BigDave

Latest Posts

Top Bottom