• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Anything in this Schrade "set" suitable for field dressing small game?

m1ckDELTA

The set includes:
120T PAL
1080T Junior
720T Dog Leg Jack

Old Timer Set.jpg

From what I've read the blades on either the 1080T Junior, 1 720T Dog Leg Jack would be suitable; the 1080T blades perhaps more so. It seems like a crazy good deal, wood handles, stainless steel, and made in America. I'm not particularly fond of the "2017" engraving but I'm more interested in utility and keeping an edge on a budget

I'm a novice in case it's not obvious. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

OPAH

If that is all you had and they were kept sharp and a stone. for a all around pocket knife you could do much worse.

OPAH

The More Blades the merrier to me Move from one to the other to the other before having to sharpen.

dthome

Those knives will do just fine, but I think you would regret not having a locked blade when dressing animals. Would prevent a number of accidents.

Bankrunner

Any one of those will work fine along with a set of kitchen shears for cutting off legs and wings.
Double check the made in america part!!! Unless things have changed, my understanding is that Schrade closed their long time american plant and moved production to China.

Bigolwiggler

That 3 blade Old Timer is what I use almost exclusively , much to the humor of some guys that I have hunted with. They generally don't laugh much when they see my finished product . ; )

BUT , I have the old high carbon steel blades . I understand that they don't make those anymore. I just cant put an edge on the stainless blades like I can with the old Schrade. I know when it is sharp when I can shave the hair off of my arm with it . Seriously, that is ho I know that I am done sharpening them.

zacajawea

For small game that will definitely do the trick. Multiple Blades are not bad for a back up. To put it in perspective, I use two full sized sized fixed blade skinning knives on a deer with minimal honing, those would work nicely for your use, but definitely keep a stone in your pocket...Jason

baco

Locked blade is what I would suggest. Schrader makes nice knives but again look for locked blades

Top Bottom