API Grand Slam

fowlplay101

Reaction score
I need help! I recently purchased an API Grand Slam Supreme that was missing the seat. The deal was to good to pass up but I failed to do any research on how to locate a replacement seat before I bought it. I've been to API's website and found it to be of little to know help. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement seat for a reasonable price?

Thanks
David

fowlplay101

Reaction score
I tried to order from that sight but they said that API was no longer in business. I told them that just because the place wasn't in business anymore didn't mean that the seats automatically disappear. I had no idea the legal mess that API went through. I don't care about the recalls and other stuff I just want a new seat. Thanks for your help.

david

3D4ME

Reaction score
Fowlplay101;

Here goes the story. Paul Meeks started API. Ran into the market turndown a few years ago. Just could not keep the company going. Sold it off and the new owners kept the API name. Then the lawsuits happened. API folded under the pressure. The new owners bought most of the existing stock but not all the replacement parts. This is why you can not find the seat. Please check the chain very carefully. The chain can break and this is where the lawsuits are coming from. I have a Grand Slam and the chain on it is OK. I have a buddy who had the bow model and the chain broke on him while climbing. A one and a half backflip from 15 feet up. He still has not settled with them yet.
If Fred Bears link does not work out you can try and contact Meeks new company and see what they recommend. Meeks and his son have started Great Day Inc. in the same building where API use to be. Check them out on the web at www.greatdayinc.com. They do not sell tree stands anymore, but might can help you locate spare parts for yours. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!!

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
Man! That's scary
I have an API Grand Slam that I love, but I've got to wonder if it's OK now. I've heard about the various recalls, but how do I know if mine's OK? I love that stand, and I climb, climb, climb. 30-40 feet isn't a problem in the planted pines. Should I quit using it?

Coondog

Banned
Reaction score
I know nothing about these, but could you not just go ahead and replace the chain that is on them???

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
3D4ME, Your links worked fine; you must have the touch.
However, both links referenced a cable mounting system. The above link (and my stand) are about a chain system. Is the chain safe, and the cable dangerous, or is the chain at risk too. I love that stand, but my neck is much more important to me. Am I safe?

fowlplay101

Reaction score
I finally found the number for API (1-800-228-4846) and spoke with someone in the service department named Tammy. She basically told me exactly what 3D4ME said. She did say that the only problem was with the cable versions and not the chain ones. Again, like 3D4ME said, they still sell replacement parts for the stands but they have sold the rights/name to a new owner. I have also learned that the new API stands have a chain coated with something that you don't have to replace ever/often like the shrink wrap style that I have. Tammy told me that I could purchase this new chain and it would fit my older grand slam supreme.

Thanks for all the help

David

Fred Bear

Reaction score
I just wanna make sure like BelchFire said it is the cables not the chain models that are a problem right?

I have the API grandslam Bow hunter with the chain and havnt had any problem but I dont want to at 25 feet. Thank god I'll have my seat of the pants harness on!

3D4ME

Reaction score
Belch;

Good we are by the first hurdle. The cable system is the one that has the highest failure rate. The chain system is much easier to detect. This is what happens. The part of the chain that is pushed into the stand arm is where the failure is. When you put the pin in through the stand arm between the links, the link pin bends or breaks, the chain separates, and down you come. This is what happened to my friend. One of the link pins was bent and pulled out of the chain. He is a healthy boy.
All you need to do is remove the covering from around the chain where you normally push the stand pins through. You do not have to remove all the plastic, just where you push the pins through the chain. Thoroughly check each connecting pin. If the pin is bent, shows signs of stress, or has any type of rust on it, then you need to replace the chain. If the chain is OK then they recommended that the chain be coated to help prevent rust. What I did was go to the Hardware store and get a pint of black rubber dip paint. Just clean the end of the chain and dip it in the can of paint and hang it up to dry. I put two coats on my chain. After it is dry take a nail and punch holes between the link pins so the stand pin will go through and you are back in business.
I hope your chain is OK and you have no more worries. I hate it if I am worrying about my equipment and not concentrating on my hunt. I always remove all doubt before going into the woods.
Are you going to Buckarama in Hotlanta this year?? I will be there on the 7th.
Might can find a replacement chain there if need be. Good Luck!!

fowlplay101

Reaction score
You can also buy new chains from API that are supposedly better. I'm not sure how much they cost but i'm going to look into it.

david

Latest Posts

Top Bottom