Apple fire effects on the hunting season

Zanglo

Reaction score
With The Apple fire burning over 41 square miles already, the fire looks like its approaching the San gorgonio wilderness. Wilderness area has been ordered to close. Goodbye to my trail cams haha. With the fire this close to archery bear and deer opening up, do you think the smoke will be pushing all the critters out of the area? Smoke is blowing north east through Arizona and Utah, is this going to push them somewhere with clean air? With D14 becoming a premium unit and this fire, I’m sure it’s going to be really different up there this year. Hope everyone’s safe!

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Within the first hour this fast moving fire went through a area where I hunt Quail during the season. I am not expecting to much this fall in the way of birds.

Zanglo

Reaction score
Within the first hour this fast moving fire went through a area where I hunt Quail during the season. I am not expecting to much this fall in the way of birds.
That’s too bad. I was at diamond valley lake a week ago and I’ve never seen so many quail. They should open that up for hunting.

dthome

Reaction score
Deer can have really high site fidelity, and have been shown to use burned areas even before new forage begins to grow. I suspect the smoke doesn't force animals out, but I don't really know. They'd have to go a very long way to escape the smoke, which comes and goes with the wind.

Zanglo

Reaction score
So the deer in the area come around because they are used to being there? I know a big reason burns are a great place to hunt is the fresh soft forage. But in a place that doesn’t get much rain, that could take a while. I bet the burn is going to be tough this year, but maybe it pushed things in ways that they haven’t been pushed in a while. At 1 bear per 4 square miles in the San Bernardino nat Forest, the way I see it is with 40 + square miles burned 5-10 of them are either dead or moving somewhere else. I might just end up getting a bear tag this year after all

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
ive been out 2 days filming the fire. Sunday I saw a momma and little one feed by me by Mias Cyn, didnt look spooked at all and there was smoldering burn scar ll around us. I missed getting a pic of them but i got a pic of the quail. It was disappointing to see only 1 chick.

quail_apple_fire.jpg.jpg

Limited Out

Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
The only thing we can hope for is that those birds found their way into one of those fire retardant islands that dot the landscape as the fire was passing through. Jesse were you on channel 7 news the other afternoon?

Zanglo

Reaction score
ive been out 2 days filming the fire. Sunday I saw a momma and little one feed by me by Mias Cyn, didnt look spooked at all and there was smoldering burn scar ll around us. I missed getting a pic of them but i got a pic of the quail. It was disappointing to see only 1 chick.

View attachment 78363
How is the access up there? Is the 38 closed? That’s a great picture. Was the mother/baby deer or bear? I’d like to get up and check it out. Plus they just stocked big bear lake so I can take the wife out fishing while we are up there.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom