Apple Trees

TimW

Reaction score
Just wondering if you all have any advice on apples treess. I live in Southwest Virginia and I would like to add some further attractants to my propery.

You have dwary, semi-dwarf, and standard apples trees. Which will produce apples faster?

What type and how many trees would you recommend setting out? I'm thinking a mix of late summer and fall apples?

Thanks,
Tim

Tree Doc

Reaction score
I'm far from your area but the 3 trees (dwarf, semi dwarf, and standard) will likely come to fruition in about the same amount of time. Apple set fruit on spurs which take about 2 to 3 years to form and then will typically produce fruit for about 3-5 years. Yearly or Biannual pruning is necessary to maintain a good constant cycle. Full crops will produce in about 3 years or so. It would be a good idea to consult with a nursery in your area to determine the proper timing for specific varietys, late and early season bloomers.

How many would depend on how much room you have. Typical spacing wood be 12' spacing with staggered rows for semi dwarf trees. I would use semi dwarfs if I was doing it as they will grow to 12-15' tall.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom