Apprentice Marble Mountains

Nickman

Reaction score
I will get some serious humor if this youngster whacks a bigger bull than Dads'........

mccoycoffee

Reaction score
Don, I hope it happens. But, I will have a chance to get a bigger one in WY unit 30. The boys both have tags there too though. This is going to be a fun year, thanks again for breaking us in.

auminer

Reaction score
Great draw! Have you choosen an area yet? Stanshaw will have most of the tags hunting the area. At least a dozen locals drew this year. If you would like a little info shoot me a PM. Packed in the area all summer for the USFS crews doing fire rehab on the trails. Saw over 100 cows and calves in one bunch last month.

Stan

soupr

Reaction score
Good luck to your son. It will be a great trip I'm sure. I have been putting in for that zone before he was even born. Yikes!

rodngun

Reaction score
Good luck! No fires this year...It should be excellent! Let us know how he does!

mccoycoffee

Reaction score
Tag soup

The boys and I decided to hunt the west side of the Marble wilderness area and camped at Stanshaw. This hunt had to be DIY and we are not experienced hunters. The country has very thick brush and trees. We hiked up to 13 miles a day and never saw elk from the trail. My son had learned to bugle and had an elk answer him the second day of the hunt. We started towards the bull and then let out another bugle, the bull answered again. We continued to move in and at the next bugle the whole herd answered. We found ourselves 45 yards away from the herd in thick brush and trees. My son, Cade could have shot a spike at this point (we saw 3). There were also about 20 cows. The herd was between us and the bull, which we never saw. One of the spikes finally busted us and the whole herd took off. My son followed for a time but never got a look at the bull. This was an awsome experience and it was so much fun to have my 15 year old son call in elk. We found out later that the outfitter in the area took that bull the next morning, a huge 5X7. These were the only elk we saw in 8 days hunting. I think an outfitter with horses and mules would be in order for a trophy hunt here. My son was looking for a wall hanger and didn't get one. We thought we would be able to fill the freezer on our WY hunt, which we did. See our post "3 elk down, Aspen Mountain, WY".

Attachments

AimHigh

Reaction score
Thanks! You can see the fires took a number of acres. I'm glad you got to call some in.

dglover

Reaction score
Sorry no elk but what a great experience. Thanks for sharing!

JaegerMeister

Reaction score
Regarless, two sons chasing elk wih their father, that is priceless. I wish I had a father to hunt with like that at times. Congrats on those Wyoming elk!! And I bet a bed never felt so comfortable after returing from those rugged Marble Mountains!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom