AR For Hunting

essmanfam2

Reaction score
Afternoon all.

I am looking for an AR type rifle for hunting medium (deer and pig) game. Preferably in 243 or possibly 6.5. Anyone have any suggestions? I know 308's are common, but they aren't set-up so much for hunting. My hands are so bad now that I need the pistol grip to help relieve the pain when shooting. And the kicker is, I live and hunt in CA.

MariotheBarber

Reaction score
Well unfortunately starting next year you will no longer be able to own a AR with a pistol grip in CA unless its registered as a "assault rifle", much less hunt with one. You can buy a neutered "feature-less" AR though.

Stevehazard

Reaction score
The list of options for ARs are to run some sort of fixed mag setup, make it some sort of manual action, already have a bullet button AR that you have had pre 2017 and register before July of next year. Or build it as a featureless rifle, which means you'll be losing the pistol grip which is what your wanting it for.

pierpont scott

Reaction score
Well unfortunately starting next year you will no longer be able to own a AR with a pistol grip in CA unless its registered as a "assault rifle", much less hunt with one. You can buy a neutered "feature-less" AR though.
Everything you just wrote is untrue. Put a maglock on your AR lower and your rifle is California legal. No registration ! Not and assualt weapon. Don't spread FUD.

MariotheBarber

Reaction score
You guys do what you want. The sheriffs I talk to have been telling me that simply putting a maglock on it isn't going to fly. I put more faith in what sheriffs tell me then internet lawyers, they are the ones carrying handcuffs.

54hawken

Reaction score
the new law require weapon to be disassembled to remove mag, the definition of disassembly of an AR by doj states that take down pin must be removed and upper pivoted up to remove mag. AR mag lock, patriot mag lock and mags that insert from the top and cant be removed through the bottom of mag well all meet that discription

Last edited:

Planetcat

Reaction score
Since its for hunting, the stupid constraints on assault rifles shoudnt be a problem. I would love to hog hunt with a .308 AR, but I think the image it portrays would not b good in CA. I use a BAR in .308 and a Benelli R1 in .30-06 for deer and hogs. If I had my own property to hunt on, I would be using an AR 10 in .308 or 6.8 for sure.

MariotheBarber

Reaction score
That's another good point Planetcat. I love my AR's, but unfortunately in this state they are a hassle lately. I imagine they would be with a warden that would come across you in the field. I regret not buying a Saiga in .308 when I had the chance.

adam32

Reaction score
You guys do what you want. The sheriffs I talk to have been telling me that simply putting a maglock on it isn't going to fly. I put more faith in what sheriffs tell me then internet lawyers, they are the ones carrying handcuffs.
Most Sheriffs don't know diddly squat about gun laws.

Please post your links to your information.

MariotheBarber

Reaction score
Most Sheriffs don't know diddly squat about gun laws.

Please post your links to your information.
Okay. Www.armaglock2.com . Their own website previously stated that it is "potentially compliant" before they changed it. It still states that at the end of the day, it's on the consumer. And either way, the Maglock will probably be just like the bullet buttons, it's a loophole they will eventually go after too.

adam32

Reaction score
[h=4]"In an effort to address some consumers concerns related to our website statement “potentiality complaint”… “Potentially compliant” does NOT refer to California as it IS compliant within this state, but it does refer to other states and municipalities with detachable magazine restrictions. Locations such as Cook County IL have ordinances that make our product potentially compliant also, but we leave it to the end consumer to make that judgement based on their knowledge of their local laws and regulations. We can’t be expected to know all of the regulations in every place that the AR MAGLOCK can be used."[/h]
Perfectly legal in CA...tell your Sheriff buddies to do some research before they end up embarrassed in Court.

I run a Prince50 and that's as far as I'm going to go with compliance. All my lowers are already Registered from when I purchased them also.

adam32

Reaction score
Those seem legal, Turners here is selling bolt action ARs with pistol grips.
100% Legal. The law only cites "SEMI-AUTO" rifles.

That's why mini-14/30's are legal, NO pistol grip yet they are still semi-auto with a detachable magazine.

A bolt action can have a pistol grip, detach mag, flash hider, pretty much anything besides a can on the end.

MariotheBarber

Reaction score
Look buddy, Im on your side. I'm a NRA member and I've donated to CalGuns more than once. I voted No on these stupid laws, like the ammo registration. But you have to admit, hunting with a AR could potentially be a hassle in CA. It would be easier to hunt with a semi-auto that is feature-less, like a Saiga or a Mini-14.

adam32

Reaction score
Look buddy, Im on your side. I'm a NRA member and I've donated to CalGuns more than once. I voted No on these stupid laws, like the ammo registration. But you have to admit, hunting with a AR could potentially be a hassle in CA. It would be easier to hunt with a semi-auto that is feature-less, like a Saiga or a Mini-14.
I've never had my rifle checked by a Warden so honestly it's not a hassle to me at all.

Top Bottom