AR platform

feelinducky

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a AR lower to begin a build but have a few questions for you guys. I've never built an
1) Is there a difference in quality between the different makers of the lowers? ie Stag, Rock River, DPMS or others with no name.
2) Are there some makers to stay away from?
3) .223/5.6 vs the 6.8.

Thanks in advance.

JohnX

Reaction score
Most of the info I read led me to chose a CMMG lower. Stripped lower was $160ish and was shipped ASAP. They would not sell me an assembled lower for CA.

I have also decided to go with 5.56 chamber. DO NOT get one chambered in .223 , they are all but identical, but the .223 is a smaller round(VERY slightly) and then you can not run 5.56 rounds without risking a jam. On the other hand, A .223 round will run through a 5.56 chamber with no trouble.

I also decided to go with a 1/7 twist rate. I read somewhere that the 1/12's don't handle the heavier bullets as well.

I have also decided to keep everything "milspec" in order to make mixing and matching parts easier...if it says mil spec, it better fit :D

Good luck.

feelinducky

Reaction score
Thanks John, I just purchased a cmmg also with some advice a a friend. How is yours working?

JohnX

Reaction score
Haven't got it built yet. I am waiting for the barrel right now. I hear the barrels and uppers are what take the longest to get. Been waiting about a months right now.

Top Bottom