Archery elk in the western U.S.

bigtusker

Reaction score
I'm looking to take my boy on an archery elk hunt this year for his 8th grade graduation. Preferably a private ranch hunt somewhere in the western U.S. Any ideas? I'm looking for personal experience not just suggestions about some place you read about in a magazine. And no high fences either. Thanks in advance.

Killzone

Reaction score
You should check out RV Robertson 719 8500264 Capulin, Co , 1k for a week he teaches u how to call, and puts u where the elk are, in 80, 81, i can fax u 3 pages he has no web, saw him at Fred Hall fishing show ijn Long beach, un like hogs u can call a elklback to u when he runs away, i saw a rv video, he stpopped a running bull , brought him back 2 x times for shots missed cool

Killzone

Reaction score
I have been looking myself, for a CO elk hunt, about 4 k for guided hunt, 1 k to 1,500 for drop camp with no food, rv, food and lodging, i hjave recalled a few references. Calling is so important, he teaches it, and if he scouts it for ya its worth plenty.

bigtusker

Reaction score
I'm looking to take my boy on an archery elk hunt this year for his 8th grade graduation. Preferably a private ranch hunt somewhere in the western U.S. Any ideas? I'm looking for personal experience not just suggestions about some place you read about in a magazine. And no high fences either. Thanks in advance.

wyemjohnson

Reaction score
HI Chopper; In Wy you could checkout Bliss Creek Outfitters. They pretty much take archery hunters only. Is not private, and I have not hunted with them. I have a friend who lives in Cody that knows him. Tags might be an issue since the draw was last month, but the archery tags (type 9) are usually left over. www.blisscreekoutfitters.com Good luck finding a hunt for your son.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
Backcountry Outfitters out of Steamboat Springs. No fences, fair chase elk and an OTC tag. It's become quite expensive, but has very good success rates. Tons of elk. Don't expect a monster as they really don't live in this part of CO, but you will see lots and lots of elk. I hunted with them (rifle) several years ago on a friend of a friend deal. I killed the bull posted here. Then I referred my uncle and cousin last season and they had a fantastic time. They both killed 5x6's. They do bow hunts too and I know several people who have hunted with them for archery. All good experiences with lots of opportunity.

Attachments

Killzone

Reaction score
call RV and get his list of 40 reference ph numbers, mailed or faxed to you. Its over thr counter tags. I have called about 7 of the references, guys who have hunted with him.

Arrowslinger

Banned
Reaction score
Killzone....read bigtuskers first post again, he's looking for personal references...as in, places you or any other JHO members have hunted or guides used before.

Bigtusker...my brother lives in Steamboat, anything you need while in town, i'm sure he'd be more than willing to help.

Killzone

Reaction score
Dude Im doing the same thing YOU are for him Im giving him ph numbers of GUYS that have hunted there OK?????? I will fax them to him or he can call himself. DO YOU know anyone thats has called the same BUll elk back 2 x times ??????? for a sucessfull arrow shot.

Arrowslinger

Banned
Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Dude Im doing the same thing YOU are for him Im giving him ph numbers of GUYS that have hunted there OK??????[/b]
You're not doing anything for him other than passing along refrences from an outfitter.....again, he asked for someone to chime in that HAS hunted with a particular outfitter they'd recommend.....not a random list of references provided by an outfitter. It's two completely different things!?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
DO YOU know anyone thats has called the same BUll elk back 2 x times ??????? for a sucessfull arrow shot.[/b]
No and i really don't care if a guy can call an elk in a dozen times...a dead elk is a dead elk.

Killzone

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bigtusker @ Mar 25 2008, 10:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know lots of guys who have called back elk for a 2nd shot.[/b]

How about the the same bull for a 3 hd shot?? Hey just disregard my posts here.

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
bigtusker give my good friend Rich Birdsell a call (406) 756-2544 or (406) 261-7424 He runs "Northern Rockies Outfitters" in MT. He has a great lease on the Alberta border and runs some great archery elk hunts on the place. He has a great permanent camp on the ranch and lots of elk, mulies, whitetail and antelope. And yes I have hunted with him multiple times as has my Father, uncles and cousins.

BryanB

Reaction score
Hello,

I have to second KILLZONES suggestion. RV Robertson (High Plains Drift Inn) has been doing this for 44 years.I know him, and his outfit. First class, and VERY affordable. LOTS of elk. After hunting all over the west, Ive never found anything that even compares. You can reach him @ 719-850-8931. Tell him Bryan B sent you !

Regards,

Bryan B

Top Bottom