Archery hunting in City limits

warren nelson

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if Sacramento has Archery hunting along the American or Sacramento rivers.

larrysogla

Reaction score
I live in Los Angeles city & city regulations prohibit the discharge or display of even a BB gun or archery weapon, let alone hunt an animal with one. Dunno 'bout other cities but check with their websites & make a call to your local friendly police station before making any action as this could have another set of dire consequences being posted here on JHO. Don't take
anybody's opinion at face value including mine 'till you have checked out the actual written city regs yourself, as weapon violations are no longer tolerated by judges in many large metropolitan areas. Just my 2 cents worth of course. It just makes me cringe when somebody even has an idea of city limits hunting, especially here in California.
God Bless. larrysogla.

Backcountry

Reaction score
I have no idea about the laws that govern our fine capital city (i.e., “cesspool of liberal politicians” alert); however, if you have a hankering to be slammed to the ground at gunpoint, bowhunting in the city limits may be a good way to fulfill that fantasy. I bet it wouldn’t take 30 seconds before somebody called 911 to report a "terrorist with an assault sniper crossbow thingy". You'd make the news for sure.

So, you seen a nice buck eh? My advice, hunt him with a camera. Good luck!

Backcountry

warren nelson

Reaction score
I know several cities that allow archery hunting inside city limits(only way to control deer herds) Yea Back country saw some really nice bucks one was 25" 4x4 with a 10" dropper on the right side, I have been walking alot with a backpack to get in shape and I was in the Sacto area for a few days working(I live 6 1/2 hours south) so I walked down in the thick stuff by the river, but I jumped 4 different bucks in 8 days, 3 of them was 4x4's the big one and then a 21" with claw type forks and a nice clean 23"then a nice tall 3x3 19"(only one I got a picture of) started carrying a camera after the first couple. I know my city (hesperia) does not allow bow hunting in city limits your not even suppose to shoot archery in the backyard but everyone does. But if you hunt above Rancho cucamonga, upland, that area you can hunt with a bow only and it in there city limits. I was just hoping for some you that live up that way it was allowed, sure would be some nice deer. Great trees in the area for treestands alot of wild grapes and such in the riverbottom for the deer to eat.

Backcountry

Reaction score
Sounds like a decent population of urban bucks. It would be great if you could hunt them, bit I doubt it. One thing you could do is call the Sacradementia DFG office and ask to speak to a biologist or enforcement officer for the Sacramento unit. They'll know what's legal and what's not for sure.

Still, I can't imagine the outrage that would occur if you scored and the urbanites got a glimpse of a steaming gut pile. Whoo-eee there'd be some liberals throwing a tizzy over that!

You raise an interesting point about archery practice in the city limits too. You're right, pretty much everybody does it. A good fraction of my club members are sheriff or police and all of them have bales in their backyards, as do I (but like a lot of things, that don't mean it's legal). I'm using the don't ask - don't tell method, my neighbors enjoy the fruits of my sucessful hunts so no worries there, and if the cops do show up, it's most likely they'll be bringing their bows.

Backcountry

hntndux

Reaction score
I know for a fact that your SOL from Nimbus to Discovery Park which is most likely where you saw those bucks. That entire section is off limits to all hunting, period. I've drooled over huge bucks several times in that area even with my boy in hand practicing at the Discovery Park archery range... As for the banks of the Sac river in the city limits, your OL there too because it's all private or parks (Discovery and Miller).

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
Warren, California is loaded with areas like the one in Sac, where hunting is prohibited and game is pleantiful. Since F&G can't/won't fight for our rights and more hunting opportunities, CBH (California Bowmen Hunters, www.cbhsaa.org) has started to take a more agressive role. CBH has been going after these cities that prohibit hunting and shooting a bow and arrow. Bowhunting should be used as the main tool for game management in urban areas. If you are interested in more hunting opportunities, you need to join CBH and get your friends to join. Here are some of CBH accomplishments similar to what you are looking at.

3. Filing suit against the City of Burbank for prohibiting the use of archery equipment inside the city limits.
6. Saving the hunting opportunity in the Clear Creek Watershed in Redding from closure.
7. Defeating the “no bow shooting” ordinance in the City of Vallejo.
14. Retaining the bowhunting opportunity within the city limits of Duarte.
17. Presently working toward hunting opportunities and access on the Sacramento River Refuge on public, private state and federal land.

Ed F

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Heya Gator,

I used to live within a 5 minute walk of Folsom damn and worked in a building right there on Nimbus Lake. I looked into it for turkey hunting 'cause there are a gazillion +1 turkeys there around Nimbus. Also urban deer running into Folsom down some of the water drainages from El Dorado hills on down into east Folsom.

The closest place you can hunt is a patch of BLM that's only accessible by boat via Folsom Lake...you have to get explicit written permission from the main park office there @ the corner of Dam Road and Folsom Auburn Road to hunt it--that's almost impossible to get 'cause a few personel there treat it like their own little private hunting preserve.

A better alternative is to go south of 50 in the foothills where Tichert construction has gravel pits and start knocking on some doors. I've seen bucks crossing the road there winding my way over to Grant Line Road from Prairie City Road off of I-50. Or run up towards Placerville into El Dorado NF.

warren nelson

Reaction score
It was between Howe Ave and Watts on the south bank I sent wmmiddlebrook a picture to post. This was the smallest one we saw But the only one I was able to get a picture of.

Reaction score
hey gator i didnt know who you wanted to post it but here it is. im going up on the mountain after i post this. so ill let you know what i see

Attachments

lxtrail

Reaction score
THATS A NICE DEER I SO CANT WAIT TILL OPENENING DAY

GOOD LUCK IN THE FIELD!!!

Attachments

warren nelson

Reaction score
You could put this bucks rack inside those other 4x4 racks easy, this was the smallest one of the bunch, I figured him right at 19" you really can't see his rack but he's a really nice 3x3.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Nice photo~! Sure makes the hiking a bit more interesting.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom