• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Archery Opener 2019

canamrider07

D11, 13 get so much traffic, hikers, campers, hunters, ohv’s , tough place to hunt. I used to ride (ATV) up by Caballo and Marian campgrounds, D13, to the top of the Mountain and take some old trails west and would see a few bucks. I never saw anybody up there.

imperial valley hunter

It's been tough for me, I've spent quite a few days first in D7 and more recently in D11, I have yet to see a buck. No shortage of bucks on trail camera but most are appearing before and after legal shooting times. Unfortunately most of the days I have spent in the woods are on 3/4 to full moon phases. Next week I have plans to try some spots in D11 and D13 when the moonlight appears to be in my favor.
Cjack, when bucks go nocturnal do you try and find where they bed?

cjack

Absolutely, the areas that I am currently frequenting are thick in dry brush and the bedding areas that I have come across are mostly north facing and under the only large bushes around. The bucks are very good at picking safe areas that allow them to wind, hear and see anything stalking them making it very hard to find them before they find you. A few times I have been able to find them by glassing but with the extreme hot temperatures they have been able to out wait me or they slip out in directions that I can't access. Every time I go out I think I have a new strategy that will work but they seem to find a way to outsmart me. I learn a little more each time out and plan to keep at it!

canamrider07

Keep at it cjack. I hear you on the new “strategies”. You are thinking what you need to do and then in a instant that “strategy” turns in to another “learning experience “

cjack

Another disappointing archery season in both D7 and D11 so far. I plan on going out one more time tomorrow morning before heading up to D7 for the general opener on Saturday. Man I'm really looking forward to my archery deer hunt in Colorado in early November. Every year here in California I start with high hopes and expectations only to become disenchanted and disappointed about this time and try to tell myself that it is still worth it if just for the time spent in the woods but I would be lying if I didn't say I am feeling a little discouraged once again.

jrappyo

Another disappointing archery season in both D7 and D11 so far. I plan on going out one more time tomorrow morning before heading up to D7 for the general opener on Saturday. Man I'm really looking forward to my archery deer hunt in Colorado in early November. Every year here in California I start with high hopes and expectations only to become disenchanted and disappointed about this time and try to tell myself that it is still worth it if just for the time spent in the woods but I would be lying if I didn't say I am feeling a little discouraged once again.
Ugh! The more and more I am reading and researching the less and less interested I am in hunting in Southern California. Northern CA seems to be a different story. Especially after speaking with the game warden.

canamrider07

"to be successful, you have to put yourself in a successful situation"
canamrider.....

Come out here cjack, bring plenty of arrows, no need for a license for pigs, I just have to give you permission...Granted....but you will need one for the deer,,let me know. Camp at the "library" where the deer and hogs are right at the window, stay at the Lake House, or the house in the woods..
08240025.JPG08240033.JPG08270059.JPG09140615.JPG

canamrider07

You don't need a license for pigs there... I didn't realize that.
As a landowner you don't need a license to shoot pigs on your own property. And if you give permission to someone hunting on your property they do not need one. It's all private property around here so I have yet to see a game warden. I can ride my ATV down the hwy, a short distance, and the Sheriffs just drive by. Pigs are a nuisance around here so everyone wants them dead....Paradise........

Last edited:

jbao

some of the hunters here sound like they're getting a bit older, appetite getting a bit smaller, and tone a bit whinier :p

keep your chins up, gents!

canamrider07

cjack is not whiner, he is very truthful and sharing his experience and helpful to others. But, yes a lot of whining goes on here and the negative "vibes" are a downer. There should be more "congrats" when someone is successful. Lots of guys are looking for "props" but don't give any. It is either from being lazy or jealousy, or both. But a good forum has everyone cheering each other on. And I am not talking about myself getting any props, I know the situation but keep posting anyway. The effort put into the new forum setup deserves much better.

cjack

Getting older is something non of us can control, reality is that the appetite is as strong as ever. Honesty and being truthful about your expectations should not be construed as whiney but rather as being in tune with the reality of the situation. Truth is this feeling of disappointment always strikes about mid-season. Some of us get out when we can and spend only a few weekends in pursuit while others of us live for this day after day and perhaps the downs hit us a little harder knowing how much time and prep we put into it. I only hope that sharing my feelings and experiences "honestly" can inspire and help others to prepare for there hunting experiences, both good and bad. Get out when you can and take from it what it offers. Good hunting y'all!
BTW, thanks for the invite canamrider07! Don't be surprised when I take you up on the offer😉.

jbao

I hope my jab didn't come off as brash. It was meant to be a jab of encouragement to keep those heads high.

I only got out once this season for archery (yesterday). While I didn't get a shooting opportunity, I did see a bachelor group of 5 young bucks (fork and below). Probably one of my most exciting moments of so-cal, public land hunting these last few years.

VoxClam

I am a new hunter (rifle) and have spent a grand total (so far) of two Saturdays driving around (on-road and off) and hiking-in to get a feel for what D-13 looks like. I have also been perusing the US Forest Service Map for Los Padres (Mt. Pinos, Ojai and Santa Barbara Ranger Districts) and am also using OnX Maps.

My home-base is the Westside of Los Angeles, thus, I must drive at least 1.5 hours to get anywhere useful, before hiking-in to get away from roads or campgrounds.

I seek suggestions on favorable routes to access D13 / Los Padres NF, given that my starting point is the 405 Freeway, headed north from the Westside of LA.

Stevehazard

I am a new hunter (rifle) and have spent a grand total (so far) of two Saturdays driving around (on-road and off) and hiking-in to get a feel for what D-13 looks like. I have also been perusing the US Forest Service Map for Los Padres (Mt. Pinos, Ojai and Santa Barbara Ranger Districts) and am also using OnX Maps.

My home-base is the Westside of Los Angeles, thus, I must drive at least 1.5 hours to get anywhere useful, before hiking-in to get away from roads or campgrounds.

I seek suggestions on favorable routes to access D13 / Los Padres NF, given that my starting point is the 405 Freeway, headed north from the Westside of LA.
Where did you go on your first two outings?

VoxClam

Where did you go on your first two outings?
Stevehazard: Two weeks ago, I drove north on I-5 to Frazier Park and then west, to Mil Protero and then checked-out Caballo Campground and also an OHV road accessed to the north of Mil Protero, opposite the Apache Saddle fire station. I parked up the OHV road and hiked around a bit to the north and south of the OHV road. Did not look promising.

This past Saturday, I drove up to Lake Piru (did not like the looks of it, and did not want to pay $14 to drive further up the the road, only to park and be restricted by private lands). Then, west on Rt. 126 to Fillmore, and north on 23, only to find that I could not even access the Sespe Condor Santuary to park at the observation center (at least that's how I interpreted the sign!). Then, further west on 126 to 150 north, where I parked at the trailhead for Santa Paula Canyon, and hiked-in about 3.25 miles and back, just to see what the area looked like. The area is private land--oil wells and avocado groves. Personally, prefer being further north and east. I don't like the coastal feeling. I prefer a more alpine environment.

blazintowers

seen some nice bucks come from those avocado groves...if you can find public land adjacent you can catch them coming or going.

VoxClam

seen some nice bucks come from those avocado groves...if you can find public land adjacent you can catch them coming or going.
blazintowers: Interesting point, provided the grove is not fenced. This is the kind of knowledge that takes time and ingenuity to acquire.

Top Bottom