Archery opener last weekend

Bankrunner

Reaction score
No harvest but had a great hunt.
Hunted 5 days in the central sierras and saw one buck and two does. It was about an hour and half before sunset when I saw the buck, he was with a doe and I had 20 to 30 minutes of excitement and viewing pleasure. The best shot was at 71 yds, but that was to far for me. He's a nice wide and tall 3x3 that looked to have good mass but the velvet added to that. They left into the wind and quartering away from me over a flatish ridge top that had some cover for me to use but I didn't make a move to try and cut them off. The buck was setting the pace and he was certainly moving slow enough but the woods were to quiet. Not a lot of hunting pressure in that spot so maybe he'll be hanging around when and if i return.
On a different day and in a different area I also had a bear come in about an hour before sunset. I first saw him at 45yds and drew back on him with no intent to shoot when he was at about 35yds. He kept coming until he was directly to the side of me at 7 yards. At that point he turned directly towards me and started creeping towards me with his eyes on the backpack and/or the water bottle at my feet. Well that was close enough so I stopped him with a "Meh". He backed up a step, turned sideways and stopped all in one motion. Not knowing what I was it froze for a second before taking off like a bat out of hell. If he didn't slow down i bet he could have made Nevada by sunset:)
The choke cherries and goose berries are almost done you could still find em in shady areas with some residual moisture but most all of them have dropped. For anyone planning on hunting bear in the choke cherries that's three weeks earlier than last year.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reaction score
Interesting observation on the berries. Where I was hunting I didn't see many berries. Last year there was a decent amount. The other obvious differences were a lot less water in some of the small springs and less acorns on the huckleberry oaks. What I found was the deer were in slightly different areas as a result. The bears tended to be at lower elevations than I was hunting.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
I am so ready to hunt !!!!
Thank you for the story and are you NUTS? 35 yards would have been close enough for Me

Top Bottom