Are there still turkeys in Big Bear, CA?

usadaytrader

Reaction score
I live along the foothills and heard there used to be turkeys. I just came back from Coalinga and there were a lot of turkeys there but no luck. Has anyone seen wild turkeys in Big Bear? Wonder if its worth the drive out there.

bayslayer

Reaction score
Ive heard they are there but I went looking a couple of weeks ago and didnt see anything. I know they are there but I think there few and far between. Theres alot of foot traffic (dirt bikes) up there this time of year so that probably spooks them pretty good. You probably got a better chance down south in San Diego.

wingbone_2003

Reaction score
Yes there are they are few and far between now day's due to the fire's, drought,etc...i have hunted them up for there some time now,i find them in the same area later later in the season as it warm's up there but it is a hike,i have done some scouting this year and it is not looking to promising i have seen one longbeard and a couple jake's and a handful of hen's,so i think i will not shoot one up there this season usaully i'll take one every two year's,water and deep canyon's is where like it up that way,here's a photo of last year's bird i took from there jake ,so yes there are turkey's in big bear and surrounding area's not far from tthere![attachment=50972:jake_big_bear.jpg]

Attachments

kpanza

Reaction score
Wingbone, you sound like you know the area well...I went with Jesse scouting up in SBNF last year, and although we didn't see anything, I still have hope. My family has a cabin in Green Valley Lake, so I'm up there as often as I can get...been scouting out a few areas up there...if you wouldn't mind a tag along, would love to meet up with you sometime up there if you were interested? I have a Forest Ranger friend who has been keeping his eyes open for me, and I've been scouting the areas he has recommended. I'll actually be up that way on Sunday if all goes well... still looking to bag my first turkey, this is my 4th year! We had a big tom coming towards us last weekend down in San Diego, but he turned around at the last second...just the way it goes!

I don't have pm on here, but if you wanted to email me to kind of trade ideas, I'd really appreciate it! But I also understand if you want to keep it to yourself...I understand how much work is involved in trying to locate them up there! :)

kpanza at collinscommercial dot com (trying to fool the bots!) :)

Top Bottom