Arizona archery success.

Jake F

Reaction score
Awesome! Can't wait for the story. Safe travels

smitty661

Reaction score
So, me and a buddy were very lucky and drew Kaibab archery tags with zero points! Neither of us had been there before so we had no idea where to start. Thankfully another JHO member was willing to share some information and put us in a few areas that held good numbers of deer (i will leave his name out but this information was extremely helpful). We arrived the day before the opener and began exploring the areas that were mentioned and familiarize ourselves with the area. The monsoonal rains were coming down pretty good that afternoon. We spotted a few does here and there but no bucks. When the rain stopped we just happend to stop on a less traveled spur and start glassing a opposite hillside. The hillside was crawling with bucks! A few 4x4's some big wide 3x3's and a few smaller spikes and forkies. About 10 bucks total. We sat and watched these bucks feed for about an hour total. The next morning we put ourselves on that hillside before the sun cam up. About 8 am i decided to stand up and stretch. When i did isaw antlers moving in my direction from the bottom of the hill. i sat back down and clipped my release waiting for a shot opportunity. Two small bucks and a nice 4x3 passed by me at 30 yards. I passed on the shot knowing bigger bucks were in the area. i did manage take a picture of them though. Nothing came in for the rest of the morning so we decided to hike around and explore. The area i beautiful and covered in deer sign. That evening we hunted that area again only having a few does come by. The next morning, again nothing. I was starting to second guess passing on the 4x3 opening morning and was worried that maybe our scent had pushed them out of the area. Well that evening i arrived around 5pm at the hillsde and picked out a good natural blind behind some fallen trees. My buddy decded to check out a nearby meadow. At 7 i saw movement in the thick brush and a few minutes later i saw antlers pointed forward as he was feeding his way to me. i ranged him at 62 but he was quartering towards me, iwaited. a few minutes passed and now he was at 50 but i had bushes in my path. I saw which way he was headed so i picked out a tree where i thought would pass and ranged it at 38. i saw him pass and thought i would re check to make sure and he was at 42. I drew back placed my 40 yard pin and watched as my lighted nock disapeared into his vitals. There were a few smaller bucks with him that bounded off into the thick stuff. i waited about 30 minutes before going to look for him. i started looking for blood but could not find any. i was able to find my arrow that had completely passed through. i walked back to the truck to get a flashlight and knives. When i got back to look for my buck my buddy had already walked up on him and started the cleaning. i stopped him so i could take some pictures before the sun went down and we started skinning and quartering him to carry back to the truck. We got back to camp around 1030 and worked on the cape until about 130 getting every bit of meat off of it. I have some cool pictures i will post from my phone and the ones from the camera when i download them. My 2nd archery buck and my biggest buck ever.

Top Bottom