Arizona doves!

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
I shot Arizona for three days about 70 miles east of Blythe for some very good hunting.  Although most of us shot limits there were very few whitewings which is OK.  We scouted friday morning and decided to hunt the best spot on the last day and the third best spot on saturday, these plans for the most part worked out.  Sat morn the birds didn't fly until 7:30 and until 8:30 on sunday but once the birds did fly shooting was very good.  Each afternoon we went out scouting making sure that the best spot was still holding birds and while were scouting sunday evening we were hit with heavy rains and wind that snapped one power pole.  The birds were flying in the wind and rain but would they hold until monday morning.  We headed back out monday and the birds were still there and were done by 7-7:30.  

This was the first trip for my 5 yr old son and he had a great time, many lessons learned as well.  My last two birds on monday were a double and as the birds were falling I looked toward my son I lost my line on the birds, well after 5 mins or so of looking he says to me, Dad forget these two birds, shoot two more.  So while I'm searching and explaining why we can't do that the birds were like flies all over me.  It was a great trip and I can't wait to go back next month as our scouting trip found more than just doves,  can you say triple hatch on QUAIL, yeh baby!

WingSetter

Reaction score
Hey Bob,

Stefan's new gun (oops I mean Mathews)  new gun,
from what I saw seemed to shoot fine. Limits everyday.  I heard you and Mike had a great shoot.

(Edited by WingSetter at 3:32 pm on Sep. 4, 2001)

JustBob

Reaction score
Billy,
Thought them little suckers were going to run into eachother. They were flying everywhere.
Glad to Hear the little guy will have a good gun (some day)

2curljohnny

Reaction score
i hunted a bit east of yuma, my group of ten limited all 3 days and limits of whitewings all 3. we actually had to move every morning and get out of the wigeon, i mean whitewing:toothles more than i've seen in along time. also saw 10 javelinas, which is a first in my 16 years there. i need to get back for the quail opener:D hundreds of cottontails also. best trip in years.

WingSetter

Reaction score
2curljohnny,

Did you see a lots of Quail around the Yuma area?  Seems like everyone we talked to in Arizona saw a
large amonut of Quail.

2curljohnny

Reaction score
wing, there are some pretty big coveys where i was. shot em there about 5-6 yrs ago and it's pretty easy pickins. nice big wheat fed birds. the nice part is the locals don't bother em much. i'll email ya more info if you'd like .

MNHNTR

Reaction score
My family and I (bros/Dad) hunted the Maricopa area  South of PHX. and saw lots of doves opening morning.  Lots of limits early in the morning. Now if I could hit the broad side of a barn I could do better!!

WingSetter

Reaction score
2curl,

Any information would be appreciated.  I will be going down that way for the Quail Opener and hunting around Yuma, Blythe, Quartsite area.
Thanks

2curljohnny

Reaction score
wing, i sent a email, still computer illiterate so let me know if you got it

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom