Arizona issues

Mel Carter

Reaction score
I've seen on some other boards, a lot of different opinions regarding the latest change in the 10% non-resident cap on Arizona's Elk and Deer permits.

In my opinion, non-residents should receive a limited amount of tags compared to residents, of what percentage, 10% seems fair.

It seem what most non-residents are complaining about, is having to pay the non-resident fees, and still only have a very remote chance at drawing. They're paying for something they can't use.

Now this maybe stupid, so don't shoot me for saying. I think it would be no problem for most non-residents who feel this way, if they could apply for the licenses, and if not drawn, get a refund.

I myself, would apply every year for whatever amount of tags Arizona felt non-residents should have a share in, if I new I could get a refund. I don't like forking out money for a 1% - 5% chance at drawing the tag.

Is this a stuped solution, or am I not seeing the big picture?

Your thoughts.

wetobasura

Reaction score
it sounds too logical for it to be put into proper effect by any governmental agency.

-weto

in2blacktail

Reaction score
Mel,
I agree..
Its a pretty tough nut to crack mentally when your shelling out several hundred dollars for something you only have a 5%-10% chance of walking away with. I also believe in "no draw, no pay." Its only fair.. If they want to keep 15-20 bucks for processing, fine. Hopefully it will helps the States wildlife program in some way... but to absorb everything is a bit excessive..
Just my immediate thoughts..

COHunter

Reaction score
The way you described is how we do it in Colorado. You pay to enter the drawing, and if you don't draw you get all your money back minus a $3 service charge.

I think in states where the animal populations are lower such as Arizona it should be a 90/10 split. Where the numbers are higher like here in Colorado I think the split could be a little higher like 80/20 for the hard to draw area's, but 60/40 is too generous IMO.

BOWUNTR

Reaction score
I believe that your points are all ready in effect. If you don't draw, you get your money back, minus the app fee and license. If you are referring to buying your bonus point, I'll agree. My issue with the 10% cap is that it should be a set certain percentage, not a cap. I like, 100 tags, 10 of them are NR, no question. NR would be a separate draw and you would be competing against other NR for those 10 tags. You would be able to calculate your odds. The present AZ system is a crap shoot and the drawing results date is a joke, especially if you draw a archery tag. I had to make a major adjustment this year. No doubt Az residents should get a majority of the tags. All is well.

Another issue I has is the internet application process. Believe it or not for the small application fee, everyone is applying (mostly Az residents), brothers, sisters, grandma ect. I'm sure some of these people don't even know that they are applying and when they get drawn, it's time to go to the archery shop, buy a bow and learn how to shoot an elk. In two months!! I've seen it. I don't like having to put out the money up front. This separates the men from the boys. Priorities. Some guys are going to complain about the high costs and how they can't afford it. Priorities. If you are paying rent, bills, feeding the kids, ect. you can stash enough money in a years time to apply for elk in Az. Priorities. I am not rich by no means. I drive a 19 year old p/u. I applied for eight states this year. It hurts. Priorities. I love to bowhunt. This is not the end of the world. I believe a logical resolution will prevail.

By the way I drew an Az archery elk tag this year. 5 points in the legit draw. No guilt here. I paid my dues and I'm goin elk huntin in Az!!! Ed F

Top Bottom