Arizona Limited Opportunity Elk Hunt

cjack

Reaction score
Tomorrow is opening day for my Arizona archery antlerless elk hunt and I am PUMPED to say the least.:archer green: I won't be out to Eastern Arizona until Sunday but I just got off the phone with the wildlife biologist in the area and he said the elk are out everyday tearing up the local crops and that he is trying to get hold of the land owner for permission to hunt the private property.:smiley-mouse: Even without permission the private property boarders both state land and National Forest, both are hunt able. Just to know that there are a lot of elk in the area has got me thinking this will finally be the year. This is a special hunt in a limited area but I know the area well, I hunted it in 2011 and missed a 50yd shot on the last day and last year I didn't even see an elk until the last day and never even got close. Is this the year??? :prayin :

inchr48

Reaction score
Good luck to you. Just relax and enjoy it. Picture that arrow hitting the kill zone, it's a big one.

cjack

Reaction score
Good luck to you. Just relax and enjoy it. Picture that arrow hitting the kill zone, it's a big one.
Tell me about it, how can you miss something the size of a truck from 50yds? Haunts me to this day. A few more years under my belt I think I can calm my nerves a little better now.

inchr48

Reaction score
I was fortunate on my cow hunt to have someone ranging for me, so I had time to think about what pin to use, and where to aim when the shot was available. The shaking started after I made the shot :confused:

cjack

Reaction score
I was fortunate on my cow hunt to have someone ranging for me, so I had time to think about what pin to use, and where to aim when the shot was available. The shaking started after I made the shot :confused:
I had to hold my hand with the release on it against my chest to steady it enough to hook the release to the "D" ring. I knew exactly how far she was just don't know if I used the wrong pin or if it was the shakes.....either way ELK FEVER! BTW are you still working on that elk from last year? That's a lot of meat!

Last edited:

Where's Bruce?

Reaction score
Good luck! I gotta wait 5 more till Sep 12th for my Kaibab hunt...it's killing me!

cjack

Reaction score
Good luck! I gotta wait 5 more till Sep 12th for my Kaibab hunt...it's killing me!
Thanks, I'll give you teasers all week with Tapatalk, It's so early in the season I usually don't even see any other hunters. Your Kaibab hunt should be awesome, that's a cool area and a lot of elk from what I hear. Good luck to you as well.

cjack

Reaction score
Killing me inchr48, I want to make some elk fajitas! Perhaps by this time next week I will.

dtj6ppc

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
I had to hold my hand with the release on it against my chest to steady it enough to hook the release to the "D" ring. I knew exactly how far she was just don't know if I used the wrong pin or if it was the shakes.....either way ELK FEVER! BTW are you still working on that elk from last year? That's a lot of meat!
Did you ever get a chance to confirm that your "mechanicals" are deploying?

cjack

Reaction score
Yes Don complete with luminocs this time, I am also taking the "Mule". Cover more ground and if I am successful I can go off trail to retrieve it in this part of Arizona. Save this old mans back!

chap_dog48

Reaction score
Good Luck, and post up the story weather you harvest or not. The Seasons are upon us and good luck to all. Remember Pick a Spot Breath and Release. Listen for the Thwack! Kurt

cjack

Reaction score
Day one: Didn't get to the hunt zone until 1:00pm so I set off and did some scouting, all of my usual spots showed no signs so I had to come up with a plan for day 2. Did come across a couple of turkeys! I have a couple of canyons that I plan on hitting this morning, need to find some fresh signs.View attachment 82328

dtj6ppc

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
How's the back holding up after all the packing and drive out, Abby along for the hunt?

cjack

Reaction score
Back is good, epidurals work. and Abby is along for the ride.

inchr48

Reaction score
C'mon, cjack. Tell us that you're smelling those Elk ....................

cjack

Reaction score
C'mon, cjack. Tell us that you're smelling those Elk ....................
Nothing yet, just saw my first fresh tracks on the third day. Now I have a good starting point for in the morning. Here's some I spotted about 5 miles from my hunt area............View attachment 82352

cjack

Reaction score
Been at it since 4:30, lots of deer, no elk.
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom