Arizona Mule Hunt

Bergman73

Reaction score
My buddy and I are planning to hunt Arizona next season (2007) . He moved there last year and is learing the area's . I dont know that much about the zones there so I figured I would post here to ask some questions for those of you who have hunted in Arizona . We are looking at Region 1 , Unit #1 . We know there are better choices for the State , but this area has caught our eye . Not asking for your hunting area'a just a over all view of what you folks think of this unit . Any input would be appreciated .

Dustin

D13er

Reaction score
try for donkeys, mules are few and far between.

JB

Coues

Reaction score
Unit 1 is more of an Elk unit. Unit 27, which is the next unit south of unit 1, is much better. Especially if you are into backpacking and hiking.

kphunter

Reaction score
If you're lucky enough to get a Kaibab tag, there isn't any better mule deer tag in AZ.

KP

Bergman73

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. on Unit 1 . Will look in to Unit 27 . As for hunting Donkeys , I could go to the River ( Bard , Ca.) to do that ...lol

Dustin

One Track

Reaction score
Berg: As you will soon find out, you'll have to draw a tag in AZ if you hunt with a rifle. It could take ten years to draw a quality unit. Archery is over the counter though. I was in Unit 1 and 27 for ten days last September. I saw a total of three does the entire trip. Saw hundreds of elk though. If you're living in Temecula, you could easily hunt the AZ desert with the bow. Plenty of good units. But, it's a serious challenge.

Sasquatch619

Reaction score
They actually have a ton of jackasses down there near lake martinez on the colorado river. You can feed them and they are dont bite you its amazing. I dont know if you can shoot them or not. And no, im not talking about democrats.

Shane

Reaction score
I know there are great bucks throughout the state and just about every unit is gonna hold a few monsters. Play the rut and play against other hunter activity. Research the 'hard to get to areas' scout and scout some more.

I successfully bow and rifle hunted AZ for the 8 years I lived there. Units 1 and 27 (to name only 2) are beautiful and great elk units. However, AZ is unique in that by the time mid Oct rolls around and the cold snowy weather sets in, most deer boogy out of those high places and head closer to the desert floor. Cuz they can! Those juniper flats hold gobbs of game.

I hunted unit 7 quite a bit during archery seasons and and when I took some guys up there for their rifle hunt, it was all we could do to scrape a few deer out of the woods. Most had moved down to about 4000 feet.

AZ is cool to hunt cuz you can either hunt in Sanoran desert amongst the cactus or up on the rim in the ponderosas and oaks for muleys and coues deer.

Best of luck down there!

SrA Nate

Reaction score
do some more research on your units....there are tons of good units for deer.....in my experience (lived there for 3 years) you will find most of your deer in the low lying areas (pinnion-juniper) by rifle season. but i have seen the largest concentration of mule deer in the desert areas.

I put in for rifle deer for those three years as a resident and never got drawn. so thats why i started archery..........as far as archery goes i only hunted select areas of the sonoran desert and saw ALOT of trophy size bucks (28+") you just need to do alot of ground work and get very lucky. if your planning on hunting AZ get an AZ watershed map from the DFG.
Im gunna do the 12A archery hunt next year......should be interesting.

good luck.

AZ Jim

Reaction score
It's funny that we joke about about donkeys because Sam Steiger, a State Senator of ours here in Arizona once wanted to open up hunting or just pay someone to shoot all of the feral donkeys that were domesticated and set loose in the wild. They became very prolific and survived well in the desert. If any of you are familiar with Lake Pleasant area just northwest of the Phoenix it is place you can go out there and see them eating the vegetation, fighting, tipping over the trash cans, mating, making all kinds of noise (you cant sleep on the lake at night if you tried) etc...

They are protected now and you can't shoot them even though they are non native and destructive. Interesting how that works out ?

Bergman73,

As for hunting in AZ the Kaibab (12A) and Strip Country (12B)(13) tags are coveted, but be prepared to wait years to draw unless you take up archery. As for the rest of the state I found that Units (23) and (6B) are easier to draw for deer. There are Mule Deer, and Coues Whitetail Deer in those units, but you will have to hunt hard and glass for hours to find a good buck. Try in the junipers up on the plateaus or sit water. First in the A.M. try to catch them crossing open grassland areas between thickets of junipers.

AZ Jim

Top Bottom