Arrow Rest....

Mnfshrman

Reaction score
I'm trying to get my hunting bow set up for Bowfishing and need some help. I'm looking at getting a real and arrow set. Will my normal rest be alright if I'm using a heavy fiberglass fishing arrow? Last but not least. I've been looking at the spool that just mounts to the stableizer point instead of a normal real that will have to be mounted to the sight area. Any help would be appreciated.

David

DMC

Reaction score
Unfortunatly the answer is maybe. What you want in a rest can depend on the arrow rigging you choose. ie Tie to end or cable system. Both have there advantages and disadvantages. Don't want to start an argument over this. I would try to keep it as simple as posible. For starters how seriouse are you and how much money are you willing to spend are some important questions to ask yourself. I have shot almost everything out there and as far as reels go if your serious there is only two ways to rig up for carp.

1. AMS retriver system. It lets the line flow free without restriction and can be very good for deep shooting and long shots.

2. A Zebco brute push button reel or an equivelent push button. It is faster to retrive and works great in a fast paced shooting enviroment. The line has friction coming off the spool so you loose some energy. The fastest way to retrieve your arrow.

Rests??? Keep it simple. Your rest needs to be sterdy to hold the wieght of the arrow. With that said there are a lot of different stiles to choose from. I am asuming your shooting a more curent model compound so shotting of the shelf is probably out due to correct side to side. There is a epoxy methode but it is probably not for your situation. Rest choice can have alot to do with arrow selection.

Tie to end of arrow method. You will be drawing the string back across the rest so you do not want any thing for the string to catch on its way out. It will remove any thing it catches on or seriously damage it. Simple rests that employ the fliper style. Very easy to maintain. I use a spring rest with an electrical tape wrap.

Cable system method. The string stays out in front of the bow so rest selection is more open. Shoot through styles are ok and in my opinion rollers are very viable. However the tie on end rest will work with this style also.

There are many different ways to rig a bow for Bowfishing choose the way that fits your style of shooting and your pocket book. I shoot any bowfishing trny that I can get to and have settled in on my version of simple and cheep. it may not be the way you choose to set up and believe me there are a ton of trny guys out there that will think my way is not the right way. But in calif. I would put my record up against theres any day.

Here is a pic of one of my bows that will shoot any bowfishing arrow rigged both ways and will take fish to 8 ft. Also look up Sully's bowfishing stuff on the internet and look at the online catolog and you will see everything you could posibly need and more.

Good luck and be safe bowfishing is very addictive.

Attachments

bofish-IL

Reaction score
If you ask this question on the link below you can get all kinds of answers from bowfishing holics.

Most people use another bow for bowfishing because the water, mud, fish, and boat are very rough on hunting bows.

http://www.bowfishusa.com/index.php

Top Bottom