Assembly bill 2787 ban on lead

Brnsvllyjohn

Assembly bill 2787 by Bill Quirk is trying to ban all lead weights under approximately 1 3/4 ounces.
Most of the fishing websites are assuming the bill will get enough support to become law. From what I read it stated it would make it illegal to buy or sell these items. For me it would include all of my bass jigs, my dartheads, my drop shot weights and of course any sliding sinkers or split shot. If you think it will pass do you go out and stock up on your favorite lead weighed items now?
I have not changed to tungsten weighs yet because of the cost. A lot of what I use is not offered in tungsten anyway.

I believe the logic is birds are ingesting the smaller lead items.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Logic? Are you accusing Kali legislators of using logic? Be careful what you post on the internet; someone might take offense to it.

OPAH

Kiss all lead good bye in California, next get ready for some new 1000.00 car battery, and sir charges for mileage driven per year

Brnsvllyjohn

I am not sure I understand everything I have read about this bill. It bans manufacturing, selling and buying. It does not specifically ban the use of. Maybe I haven't read he whole thing. We could possibly use what we have but not be able to replace it once we are out. I expect people will try to do more research and figure that out.

Brnsvllyjohn

Reading it I am beginning to wonder if it will have much effect on me. It states that weights have to be 50 grams or less and dimensions less than 2 centimeters. Most of my stuff has a dimension greater than 2 centimeters if any part of the attached lure counts in that dimension. Example a jig hook. The finished product counting the hook is much longer than 2 centimeters.
Split shot or small sinkers would be included in the ban. I guess I will just wait and see how some legal minds on the other forums interpret things.
As far as stocking up I have never been one to run down and buy a bunch of things that were about to become illegal.
I did buy a little more than normal rifle ammo ahead of the new rules that don't let me mail order ammo but really not a lot.

TheGDog

IF lead really was the problem they believe it to be... wouldn't we and all the wildlife all have lead poisoning by now or be dead? Maybe I'm coming out of left field here... but something tells me if we haven't seen drastic things happening from 1776 until now... with our population numbers spiraling out of control as they are... then we're just not going to.

ltdann

I support the New California movement! Join the revolution and free Kaliforniastan....It's for the kids! ; )

Stevehazard

IF lead really was the problem they believe it to be... wouldn't we and all the wildlife all have lead poisoning by now or be dead? Maybe I'm coming out of left field here... but something tells me if we haven't seen drastic things happening from 1776 until now... with our population numbers spiraling out of control as they are... then we're just not going to.
I think the reality is that it has to be soluble before it is a concern.

Top Bottom