Assistance needed on OWL PF mod.

Munce27520

Reaction score
My first cam went well, with no problems, old OWL slide switch. Second cam, OWL PF and ruined the first one and now the second one will not flash or open the shutter. Can anyone fix this for me? My big hands must be screwing up the solder job. Send me an Email. I'm ready to quit.

SHARP SHOOTER

Reaction score
Hey Munce,
I wouldn't quit, I have just modified my second camera. The first one is out in the field and has gotten a couple yotes. I had a little trouble with the first one. I am not sure why it would not be flashing. I think I have the new Owl PF. I just bought it a week ago, but it has the slide switch in the front. Are you hooking it up to only work in the camera or both. The thing I can't figure out is I did mine with the 2 wires, #4 common and the shutter contact and the bridge on 5+6 but mine works out of the camera also. It is very tricky getting the shutter button assembly back on but you can. You need to use pretty small wire also. I used a small plug from my hobby store and ran it out the back. Did you try the camera before soldering? Maybe the flash didn't work before. How did you ruin the second camera? Is it fixable or is it all melted? I could set you up if you wanted, just let me know what its worth to you. This is a awsome hobby. Saves a lot of money. I am putting a motion sensor kit from fieldpix.com in my next 2 cameras. $40.00, check it out. has everything but the camera and case.

SHARP SHOOTER

Munce27520

Reaction score
Hey Sharp Shooter, thanks for the reply. My first camera, I didn't test before I started. It was flashing a digit 1 in the display and wouldn't fire off the flash with button or wires. Fortunatly I was able to get it exchanged at Target. The second one I tested before I started working on it. I had trouble soldering the wires into the cam and believe that I seperated the traces from the button board to the other board. At one point the cam would flash constantly after the 6 sec. flash recharge. The nI tried to repair these traces and it worked via the button without the wires attached. After installing the wires again the cam stoped working again. I'm just sick that it appears that I waisted the $50.00 camera. I don't need to have the camera work outside of the game cam, so just need two wires coming out of the cam. I'll check out that site, fieldpix.com as I am looking for an all in one unit with timeing circuits. Let me know what you would charge me to fix it so that I can recover my $50.00 camera cost. I realize that I screwed up and it may be difficult to repair. I want to be fair and am at your mercy. My email address is jeff.muncert@aspect.com and I appreciate what ever you can do.

spotty

Reaction score
Munce,  Sharp Shooter is right. Don't give up. The rewarding part of the cams is when you check your camera and have the first roll developed. Priceless is the grin :toothless: on your face when you see the pic of the first animal to have it's mug shot taken with something you built.

It's great if the two of you can work something out with fixing the camera.  This is a suggestion that you may have already approached. Do you have a local camera repair shop? My first trip to a Ritz Camera was to replace a lost lens cap for my SLR 35mm. While there I asked of they have any of the PF's. I told them about the Homebrew Cams. Turned out they were hunters. I went to the truck to get some pics from my cam. They went to the back and brought out their repair man who is also a hunter. I gave them Jesse's web page addy. Turns out, the repair guy had worked on a few of the commercial trail cameras.  The repair tech was going to build one. He said to let him know if I needed any help if my cameras gave me any trouble. He said he would do it at home.  I'm not sure what they would charge to repair your camera but someone that works inside the cameras daily could probably fix it easily.  

Just a thought. Make some phone calls. You may find someone locally that can fix you up. Good Luck!  

(Edited by spotty at 11:26 pm on Mar. 7, 2002)

Stever

Reaction score
munce, try soldering with real thin wires like the little wires inside a printer cable. I screwed up constantly until i did that. No probs now!

Mike Mace

Reaction score
I noticed you guys were using the newest owl pf (the silver one with the slide on/off in front) Do the instructions on jesse's page apply to this model to?  I was going to buy a pair of these for me and my dad to make camtrackers but wasn't sure if these would work or not?

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
That looks like the one but you might want to make sure you get the date model so the time and date show up on the picture.

SHARP SHOOTER

Reaction score
Mike,
That camera looks like it is the PF model but not the PFdate. I would be sure that it is the date. The writing on the front of the camera doesn't quit look like the date model. Unless it doesn't matter to you weather or not the time and date is on your pictures.

Top Bottom