AT&T Wireless Multi-Band Phones

Marty

Reaction score
AT&T Wireless Offers New Multi-Band Phone, Rate Plans

AT&T Wireless unveiled two new multi-band rate plans and a phone that works on both its Global System for Mobile (GSM) and Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) networks.

The new plans allow customers to use the company's high-speed GSM/General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) network within designated coverage areas and its national TDMA voice network when traveling outside the GSM/GPRS calling area.  The new plans are:  AT&T Multi Band One Rate that  includes no roaming or domestic long distance charges for all voice calls made within the U.S., with monthly pricing ranging from $59.99 for 450 minutes to $199.99 for 2,000 minutes; and AT&T Multi-Band National Network that offers no roaming or long distance charges when calls are carried over its GSM or TDMA networks.  Monthly prices range from $34.99 for 300 minutes to $149.99 with 2,200 minutes.  

Along with the calling plans, AT&T Wireless introduced the Siemens S46 phone that combines GSM/GPRS and TDMA technology.  The S46 phone is priced at $199.99 and provides high-speed wireless data capabilities, voice dialing and a built-in data/fax modem.  An optional MP3 player headset can be purchased separately.  

AT&T offers high-speed data service in 25 of the top 100 U.S. markets including Chicago, Dallas, Las Vegas, Miami, Phoenix, Portland, San Diego, and Seattle.  

karstic

Banned
Reaction score
Marty, do you know what type of coverage these phones cover? I use to have ATT on their analog system. Sonia and I went on a trip to Great Basin NP I was able to pick up a signal in central Nevada in the middle of BFE. Now with a digital network I lose coverage as soon as I get away from the Interstate.

Marty

Reaction score
We had that same techno void when going from analog to digital.  Took a while for all the carriers to increase digital micro-cell coverage.  GSM based phones are not without voids.  However coverage should be increasing.  If not by direct carrier, then by leasing satellite connections.
It'll be nice, but I won't hold my breath.

Top Bottom