Attaching AEH's Flash Gasket

ACrowe

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the best way to mount the flash gasket. I am mounting it in a Pelican 1150 case. What are you guys using to get it to stay in place?

treetop

Inactive
Reaction score
I used 3M contact cement that i bought at my local auto parts comes in a red tube . I still had trouble getting it to stick to the gasket .I think the answer is to clean the gasket with some kingd of cleaner i used accetone on my second one and it held better TT

jcosmo

Reaction score
I took my dremel and sanded the gasket and attached it with marine goop. Seems to be holding so far...

bowarr

Reaction score
On my first one I used the marine goop but then removed it and used the double sided carpet tape. So far it is holding good. On my next one I am going to use carpet tape and then silicone around the edge for a good seal.

steve-o

Reaction score
I used carpet tape to stick the gasket to my metal ammo box, but now that the warm weather is here, the gasket seems to slowly slide downwards, probably from the weight of the camera. After a couple weeks, the lense will be too low in the cutout, so I have to reposition the gasket. I'm going to try something stickier next time.

Ocmulgee Ogre

Reaction score
I did mine just like JCOSMO. I just use some sand paper to rough up the case and the gasket a little and then gooped it. The first one I did without sanding and it didn't hold as well.

ACrowe

Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas, looks like this could be a problem without a good permanent solution yet.

ArkansasElkHunter

Reaction score
I just lay mine in the case so I can slide it under the camera for log storage times, so it's not something I have worked on.

One thing that will help is to scrub the gasket with dishwashing detergent and a stiff brush. the material has a built in mold release that comes to the surface during the curing process. Washing it off well will help and most contact adhesives will work with it then. What I don't know is if the mold release will come to the surface again during the high heat of summer. Guess we are getting ready to find out. 95° and rising!

ACrowe

Reaction score
AEH, how do you or would you let the slave flash sensor see the flash from the camera? I have my slave flash mounted inside the two blue shallow electrical boxes and the flash sensor mounted through the box. Do you think it would hurt to cut small opening on the outside corner of the flash gasket to allow some of the flash to escape to the inside of the case so the slave flash sensor can pick it up to work?

Ocmulgee Ogre

Reaction score
Crowe,
I used an Xacto knife. I cut an X in the gasket where I wanted to insert the sensor. I pushed the sensor through the X opening. Works like a charm.

ACrowe

Reaction score
I have thought about that but my sensor is already mounted and glued to the slave flash case.

HeloMedic

Inactive
Reaction score
From what I am hearing, the gasket has been working great. I guess I am going to have to break down and get me one with a slave flash. After I finish my video unit.

ACrowe

Reaction score
The gasket is the best thing going right now, I wish that I had it before I cut the holes in my case because it is anexcellent pattern for positioning the camera.
Just and update on the flash sensor problem,I just cur a small piece out of the corner to allow the flash to escape into the case and it worked great. Now if we can just get a permanent mounting solution. I don't think the holding it in place with silicon or marine goop will last.

treetop

Inactive
Reaction score
I used the tip (old one) on my soldering iron to melt a hole thru to the flash hole(left side) and I just push the tip(sensor) in to the flash opening works great TT

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Crowe,

I had the same problem you did. I then tried the heavy duty double sided 3M tape and it works great. Give it a try. You can get it at Lowes or Home Depot.

ACrowe

Reaction score
Thanks ToddP, I will give that a try.
Treetop I had already glued my flash sensor throgh the side of my slave flash box so moving it was really not an option for me.

Top Bottom