attaching cam to tree

steve-o

Reaction score
I currently use a chain and turnbuckle to attach my gamecam to trees. But the turnbuckle is always right up against the tree, and I spend alot of time at the site just turning the turnbuckle with a wrench, a half turn at a time. It's pretty time consuming. But I like the fact that it's extremely snug when I'm done.

My cams are mounted in 30-cal ammo boxes along with 4-D batteries, so they're rather heavy. I've tried bungees, but since I never know what size tree I'm going to put the camera on, I hate to take an assortment of different length bungee cords with me each time. Plus, I think the bungee cord doesn't support the camera quite as tightly as using the chain.

Does anyone have a better, faster, and stronger method of attaching their cams to trees?

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
I used the rope ratchets ****** had on his site. I am not so sure they would do for the weight of the 30MM ammo cans but they might. It takes seconds to attach to a tree. They had 6 feet of camo rope that I bought with them.

wilbur

Reaction score
The EZ-Web Bungee Anchors work great.......... you can order them from the folks that make them or one of the guys that carry various trail camera accessories. You can use rope, rubber rope, or bungee cord with them. The bungee cord seems to be the best option for me.........

EZ bungee anchor

jayber

Reaction score
On my video unit (in an ammo can) I attached two c-shaped brackets on one side of the container, spaced about 8-10" apart. I then pass a ratched strap through them and cinch 'er down tight. You can't do this, however, on too small of a tree!

I can get you a pic of what I mean if you like...

DropTheHammer

Reaction score
I just got some of the EZ-Web anchors as well. Definately the best thing I've used so far.

My first cam just has U brackets on the side for use with a bungee with hooks on it. I agree with you that sometimes its hard to get a one-size bungee on different sized trees. When I ordered my EZ-Web anchors, they threw in a sample of a bungee with an adjustable hook. I use this now on my U bracket cam and it works like a champ. Excellent product!

I would like to check out the rope ratchets though. Jon - do you have a link to them or a picture?

I tried QuickCleats on my last cam but they didn't work so well for me. Had the one come apart in my hand and never did get it back together working right - can't take them into the woods and have that happen!

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
I use the EzWeb Holders and Bungee Cord for my setups as well...
Part #AP-8

bowjedi

Reaction score
I use a chain around the tree, then a short 6" bungee to tighten the chain.
The bungee is always the right length 'cause you can hook it anywhere along the length of the chain. Works Great.

bat

Reaction score
A couple of things come to mine that you could use...
In the picture below is one, I think they call this a Chain Stretcher. I use one of these on my ladder stand to secure it tightly on a tree. "The one in the picture below", if you get one that is about 12" in length the handle could be locked to the chain, it has a hole in the end of the handle. Another thing you could use is a Racket Type Cloth Cord, of course this could be cut off the tree with a knife. The rope Racket should work also but likewise it could be cut off the tree with a knife unless you use the ones with a metal rope in them. You can find an assortment of the Chain Stretcher at Ace, they carry several different sizes. Hope this helps. bat

Attachments

wapiti

Reaction score
I have taken the step off of a strap step by gametracker, attached it to the cam and works great. Since I use pistol cases I then use a combination bicycle cable lock to run through the case hande around the tree to secure it from "honest" thieves. A dishonest thief would take a chainsaw to the tree!

IKE220

Reaction score
I use bungee cords to strap the cam to a tree and some plastic coated steel cable to lock it to the tree. I put a couple of loops in the cable.and lock it with a combination lock. I forgot the keys one time now it's only combo locks to lock my cameras and tree stands. It keeps the average guy honest, I figure a real thief has bolt cutters

kykowboy

Reaction score
I drill 2 holes, 1 in each side of the case. I use two 1/4'' eyebolts, with a jamnut inside and outside of the case, and put one in each hole. Take one of the eyebolts and spread it enough to fit a link of a 6' chain inside the colapse the eyebolt back together. Put the backside of the case to the tree and take the other end of the chain and run it throught the other eyebolt. Use a cobination masterlock to secure and lock chain. Takes about 1 minute to do. All this stuff can be bought at Lowes.

hunterteen

Reaction score
this is an idea i just had. ok, put an i bolt into both sides of the cam case, then attach around 12 inches of chain to 1 i bolt and 12 inches to the other i bolt. this way you can use a wide range of trees just by pulling the chains tight and running a lock through the lopes closest to the tree

huntfishdan

Reaction score
I just tried this and it worked great.

I have ez-web bungee for the cam but I wanted to lock it on tree. The Python lock from Master lock worked great. The cable fit right inside the ez-web and around the tree.

The python lock is a cinch type, just pull it tight and bingo...camera is on tree and securely locked.

When I don't need to lock, I will just use the bungee cord.

Picked up at Ace hardware 21 bucks, but I bet could find cheaper.

mohican

Reaction score
The Python is the same thing that Penns Woods uses. I think it is also a great idea and I too am hoping to find a better price. Anyone know of any on the internet.

DropTheHammer

Reaction score
Here is the Python for $16.97 at Lowes. I'm going to check it out on my way home. Looks like it would work pretty slick with the EZ Web anchors.

DropTheHammer

Reaction score
Lowes did have the 6' Pythons for $16.97. They had some that were bonus packs with a 12' cable extra for the same price. I bought 2 of the bonus packs - very neat lock. This with the EZWeb will be a nice setup for those occasions were I will need a little extra security.

W

wildebeast

My oldest brother uses black tape and just tapes it to the tree. A couple times when we checked the cam after a hot day the tape had stretched and the cam was facing the ground.

One time he just set it loose on a plywood frame and an elk hit it and it fell into the creek. It set there for over a week filling up with water before we checked it.

Dried it out and it still works-- one hour laughed when he gave them the film and water was running out of the container.

cliff

Top Bottom