Attn. night hunters

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Have any of you that hunt predators at night noticed different colors that the eyes reflect? I was out last night and had one set of green eyes come in. Then at my next stand I had a set of red eyes come in. I never got either animal close enough to see what they were and now curiosity is getting the best of me. Have you noticed one species(yotes) eyes reflecting a different color than another(bobcats)? Or is it just a matter of distance and angles of the light?
   Scott

Hook

Reaction score
grtwythunter,
I was out last night also, Whereabouts were you hunting. I was out near Cal City.
At night the coyotes eyes look white or greenish, bobcats and desert Kit Fox appear amber. This is while using a red filter lines on your light.
Also, I have noticed that when coyotes are coming in on the run, their eyes do not appear to move up and down while they are trotting. The desert Kit fox do appear to bounce up and down while they trot.

I hope this helps.

songdog

Reaction score
I've seen roughly the same color wise as Hook although I couldn't say definitively.  Any biologist types out there that can explain the color thing?

One thing that I have noticed is that you must be holding the light or standing right next to the guy holding the light in order to see the reflection.  If you're 10 yards to the side and the critter is looking at the guy with the light, you won't see the eyes.  They need to be looking right at you...

PS - Hook, so did you get any?

(Edited by songdog at 2:34 pm on Nov. 26, 2001)

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Hook-I went out west of Rosamond. How'd you like that wind?     Scott

Hook

Reaction score
We had one coyote come in but winded us before we could get a shot off. (That's what i get for taking along a smoker.) Also called in a couple of Kit Foxes, they were close enough for me to tell the amber eye color was from the Kit Fox.

The wind was horrible, it put an early end to our hunt. But I am ready to go again, if you guys are.

grtwythunter

Reaction score
I was ready to be out all night but the wind killed that idea. Only made two stops then headed for home. As for being ready?? As soon as the wind stops I'll be back out.       Scott

Hook

Reaction score
grtwythunter,

I havent hunted that close at night. Have you seen a lot in that area around Rosamond? I usually head to just north of Mojave and work easterly. Fairly good numbers out there.  

grtwythunter

Reaction score
Last night was the first time I've been out there at night. I do pretty well in the mornings and evenings though.      Scott

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 You guys get to hunt Preditors after dark and with lights????  man i feel cheated.

songdog

Reaction score
Passthru,

Hook, Grtwythunter and I are going to start Predator Hunter's Anonymous... want to join? :wink-yellow:

We can't get enough of it during the day so we go out at night too!

(Edited by songdog at 5:51 pm on Nov. 26, 2001)

Hook

Reaction score
I dont have a problem,
I Shoot, they fall down, NO problem. :shootin:

Well, I have to work during the day, so nightime seems like a good time to hunt coyotes. Plus they are out at night hunting too. Plenty of time to sleep when I am dead....

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 We are not even allowed to shine a light at night over a field or out a truck window at all in Missouri.They call it animal herassment,i call it game warden is tired of going to check if its poachers or just someone shineing.
 we are allowed to hunt at night,just no artificial lights(except if you coon hunt).
 Maybe ill by some true night vision binos and scope,no light involved there on a clear night.

12 step program???

Hook

Reaction score
The rules here in Ka. vary by area for night hunting. In some parts you can only use a 6volt light, others 12 volt. Then only if the general deer season is closed. But it makes it nice to be able to extend your time in the field and increase you chances of seeing those predators.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom