ATV for varmint hunting

30calman

Reaction score
Anyone use an ATV to travel around for 'yote hunting or other varmint hunting? I'm planning on using one.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
Let's just say if I had one I would and I will when I get one.

coyotehunter 1

Reaction score
In some areas I think they would be great but where I hunt, some coyotes have learned to associate ATVs with humans which means danger. When ATVs are in the woods my calling success drops.  Therefore, I don't use one.  I do a lot of walking, moving quietly as possible from stand to stand. ATVs will cover more ground faster and get you into places other hunters may not go. Your hunting success may all depend on location and the amount of off road traffic the critters are used to.
ch 1          

songdog

Reaction score
I'd stay away from them.  Setting up quietly is the number one thing that I see beginners do incorrectly.  Most think that they're calling coyotes in from a mile away and they won't be able to hear them getting set up.  Others let everything "settle down" once they get to their stand before calling.

Get into that stand quietly and you'll be amazed at how many coyotes show up in the first minute of calling.  Make too much noise and those animals are long gone.

Hook

Reaction score
One time I called in a grey fox and a bobcat from the same stand 2 minutes after a couple of dirtbike riders went by.
I have an ATV that I will be using in the local mountains out where I live. I think out here in So.Cal. they are used to the traffic on ATV's and dirtbikes. In other places it might be different.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom