ATV'S and Hunting

Blacktail Buck

Reaction score
To what extent should hunters be allowed to use ATV'S in the field?, If a hunter has health problems(ie... missing a lower limb, athsma)  should they be allowed to hunt from an ATV? This is a real touchy subject around the area I live, and I just wanted to get the opinions of some fellow hunters.

good luck this year, stay safe   Blacktail Buck

tommyo

Reaction score
Haven't heard much about it but I assume noise is the issue(?).  Sounds kind of like the deal with the golfer who needs to use the cart because of his bad leg.  Guess you are in a crowded area and you might want to go to the wilderness where only horses or no vehicles are allowed.  Otherwise the desire may be to restrict ATV range or times.  What do you think is reasonable?

Grumpy

Reaction score
4 wheelers can be a touchy subject in alot of areas,and who should or shouldn't be riding them.Here in Ontario,I don't know of any law that restricts the use of 4 wheelers except you can't hunt from them.You can stand beside it,or have it shut off and the key in your pocket.The same applies with boats.Where I hunt we use ATV's to get to and from our stands(all private property)and to haul out the deer we get.
This is great because I suffer from lower back pain and dragging a deer will only throw it out,but riging a 4 wheeler would do the same if you were moving at any speed.I personally don't think that people should hunt from ATV's,unless there is a lower extremity problem.But I think anyone should be allowed to use one to get in and out

There can be controversey on this subject,just like the old stand-by crossbows over long bows(compounds included)

BigDog

Reaction score
That is a touchy subject. Several times, I have been stalking an area and have been disturbed by an ATV driving right through.
I believe that people with disabilities have an excuse for using them. But, I do not believe that able bodied people should be able to use them on public property cruising around looking for game rather than walking.

Speckmisser

Reaction score
I'm sort of with ClickDog on this one, with the exception that I don't want to see them off the road on public lands.  If they're on the road, then as much as I might hate the noise, there's not a heck of a lot wrong with it...they have as much right there as I do.  On private land, whatever the landowner wants is fine... it's his/her land.  

For handicapped hunters, I know CA has allowances for hunting from motorized vehicles.  Those allowances do not generally extend into wilderness or non-motorized travel areas, however.  That really does get into a grey area, and one I can kind of see both sides of.  

On the one hand, non-motorized areas are that way for a reason, and the people who use them rely on that designation to limit crowds and noise.  They are also designated as such to reduce the impact that motorized traffic creates.  On the other hand, public land is PUBLIC, and as such should be reasonably accessible.  Finding a middle ground on that one is no mean feat.  

Personally, I still lean toward keeping motorized vehicles out of wilderness areas, handicapped or no.  

Fubar

Reaction score
I agree with Big Dog and Spec. Most States only allow them on existing roads or to retreive game. I saw people running down Elk with them in AZ and this should not be allowed.               Fubar

BigDog

Reaction score
An ATV tale:
Two years ago, I got a G1 tag and also got drawn for the Wildlife area hunt. So, I find this little two track road to follow with my truck. I go out a good ways and then park and head out on foot to stalk something. About a half hour from the truck I find a hill with lots of tracks leading down to a water hole. While I am trying to figure out the best place to be in order to wait for the sunset traffic, I hear a motor.
Two ATV's come along the flat in front of me. They pass me at a distance of about 40 yards. They drive up to the water hole, stop and glass the hill for about 3 minutes. They get off of their ATV's and both go over an piss in the water hole. They then walk back to their ATV's facing directly toward me, get on and leave. I was standing out in the open. The only thing around me was on scrawny tree with no leaves.
Is that hunting?

doghouse

Reaction score
Spec,
I run the wilderness area's a lot, and to my knowledge, no mechanized vehicle or tool, of
any kind is allowed in a wilderness area.  This covers ATV's to chain saws, to deer
carriers..
If there is an exclusion in the law, I'd like to know where it is. When I see a violation of
these rules, I?m on my cell phone, or radio ASAP to the nearest law enforcement agency.
I will be getting an ATV soon, but will only use it to retrieve game from public land.
From watching deer activity from my bow hunting tree stand, I can guarantee you that
deer spook from the sound of an ATV.  I?ve watched it many times.  When a car doesn?t
spook them, the first sound of an ATV will send that same deer into the brush, and away.
My stand isn?t far from a road, I watched this happen time after time.

I

im1bighoghunter

bigdog i have had the same happen to me while hunting with my son on his first deer hunt with him as the hunter,the people with the atv shot out of nowhere and bagged the 3 point we were stalking and they never waved thanks or anything!! I believe that when people take the hunter's safety course it should include another 40 hours or so on respect of persons and property,public or private!!
I have seen some people out there with little or nop respect for themselves let alone anyone else.
It is getting to be a real sick world out there!!!
im_1big_hoghunter

A forgot to ad my opinion i was so riled up,i believe that someone who is legally disabled should be allowed to do his or her thing on an atv but the problem presents itself : the people who are with the disabled hunter under the excuse of helping often take advantage of hunting out of the vehicle and carrying a firearm.They have special hunts for the disabled leave it at that!!!

(Edited by im1bighoghunter at 10:58 pm on June 24, 2001)

Speckmisser

Reaction score
Doghouse,

You're right.  A designated wilderness does not permit any mechanized traffic.  There was a discussion on here earlier about the newly designated wilderness areas, though, and how they would exclude some people.  I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing some exceptions for handicapped users in some places.  Glad to hear you call the dogs on the lawbreakers you do see, though.  Wish more people would take a few minutes to do the same.  

Bighoghunter,

According to the regs, a handicapped hunter's assistant is supposed to be unarmed in the vehicle.  There is, of course, only so far you can enforce that one... but there it is.  As I've mentioned before, I'm all for NO vehicles in the wilderness areas, without exception...and this includes handicapped.  But a part of me questions how "fair" that attitude really is.  

Then again, I don't see a whole lot of traffic in those wilderness areas anyway...handicapped or healthy.  

Grumpy

Reaction score
Just thought I'd add a note to what Doghouse had said.While I do agree that deer are initially scared at the sound of ATV's crashing through the woods,but the scare doesn't last very long at all.
The Indians on the island where I hunt we tell you "that if you want a deer,to go through the bush making as much noise as you can,break branches everything.Then wait about a half hour and go back on your track as quietly as you can,that the deer will come to investigate what all the racket was about"
Also,I have walked the 1/4 mile back from my stand to where I parked my ATV,and seen three deer around it.One as close as 5 feet from it.

Just an observation

hunter mike

Reaction score
Interesting topic.  I purchased my first atv this year and have intended on using it this hunting season.  I haven't figured out the exact details how I will use it hunting.  I just thought that I should be able to cover more ground and pack the deer out easier.  

I doubt I will be driving around all day on it as I will probably just use it to get to the area where I will hunt.  Then I will sit there and glass, etc.  Most of the area that I will hunt is just as accessable via car or truck with high clearance, so the atv is not a neccessity.  How do the rest of you guys use atv's hunting?

jerry d

Reaction score
im1bighoghunter,

In my opinion, we could give some new hunters 100 hours of instruction on respect for others and it probably wouldn't sink in.

During our Hunter Education Classes we hammer hard on this subject for two hours. If they don't get it in that length of time, they probably never will.

You should hear the thoughts that come from some students during this portion of the class.

Some of it would make your toes curl!!!

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom