Auburn SRA

Mike Tuck

Reaction score
I'm interested in archery hunting the Auburn State Recreation Area. Anyone have any success there or have any advice? I know much of it is very steep and more less a waste of time unless you are an Olympian and have access to a helicopter for animal recovery. Maybe some of you know of some areas within that are a little more reasonable.

My wife wants to start archery hunting as well this year. We have pop up blinds and tree stands. ( ladder and climber type) we have trail cameras with bear cages and python locks as well. Are these ok to leave out in the SRA?

Access? Are areas open to use quads? If not maybe a mountain bike would make sense?

I just don't want to waste what little scouting time we have on a area that isn't worth the effort.

I know this is a main migration route for the mountain deer, so there must be a good local population, right?

Any advice is appreciated.

Mike

husky44

Reaction score
I’ve harvested a few deer there during rifle season after some heavy storms. The country is steep and brushy also road-less, so mountain bikes and hiking only.

There are some regulars that hunt the area successfully with dog’s every year that should give you an idea how hard it is to hunt.

Luck will play a big part during archery season. I wouldn’t say it’s a waste of time, if you put the time in scouting and set up between the river and bedding area’s you might get lucky.

Good luck

Last edited:

Bencoyote

Reaction score
There are several access spots off Drivers Flat rd. You can park there and hike in or drive all the way down the canyon where the campground is located. The SRA does charge a fee to park but also has restrooms down by the campground. During rifle season I would have a bear tag in your back pocket as well, seen a few bears down in there. The walking is not that bad if you stay up canyon in the Drivers Flat area. You may even catch a local non-migratory buck crossing out of Foresthill. Good luck

Top Bottom