Austin Halleck 420

Txlongshot

Reaction score
I am new to in-line muzzleloading and I have a few questions. I ordered a new AH 420 and was wondering if anybody can get me any info on starterloads for this gun. also what do you think would be the best bullet for this gun. I would like to shoot goex 2F unless people have had better luck with other powders.

Thanks

archertjb

Reaction score
I started out shooting 100 gr of pyrodex ( 2 pellets ) and 240 gr. Hornady HP/XTP bullets. They seemed to work pretty good. I just purchased some Hornady 300gr SST/ML , Dead Center 340gr. and some Power Belts 420gr. I also picked a pound of Tripple 7 ffg. I plan to do some testing as soon as it cools down a little. I was happy with the load I was shootig but I just want to see if my 420LR can do even better.

Good luck! ( I can let you know how my testing results turn out. )

I am no expert by any means, just an avid deer hunter.

Drayton

Reaction score

It's always good to get a new gun!
I'm no expert either, but I love that Triple 7. Shoots great and super clean.
No more rotten egg smell cleaning up my gun.

Also like power-belt bullets. Any easier and I may as well use the 30.06.
Good luck with your new gun

RandyWakeman

Reaction score
Originally posted by Txlongshot@Jul 21 2004, 11:02 AM
I ordered a new AH 420 and was wondering if anybody can get me any info on starterloads for this gun.
100 gr. Triple 7 FFg pushing a 348 or 405 gr. Powerbelt, a 340 gr. Dead Center, or a 360 gr. PRBULLET "Extreme Elite."

Captain Dan

Reaction score
I tried several bullets in the same gun and had my best luck with th Buffalo ssb in 375 grain. I met Ray Crow from A.H. at the shot show and he recommended the heavier bullets in this gun. He likes the power belts but I had much better luck With the ssb's. They are available from Cabela's. I am shooting 120 grains of loose 777. I would recommend this powder. Shoots super clean and burns hotter. In over 150 shots I have had no hang or misfires. The 340 dead centers shoot as well but are far more costly.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
I can't complain about the 375 gr. SSB's either. They shoot fine out of my .50 cal. A&H as well with 105 grains of 777. They're very reasonably priced too which is nice.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom