auto flash

feathermax

Reaction score
I have used the owl pf in my cam set at forced flash. Now that the season is nearing and more concern for theft, I am wondering if auto flash will work (no flash during light hours, flash during dark).
I am uncertain how well it works in that mode. Any comments, please

wapiti

Reaction score
It will probably flash anyway.  Mine does.

Arrowhead

Reaction score
If the light sensor hole is covered up it will flash.

You have to make sure that your camera box has three holes.
Flash, Lens, Light sensor. I put the three holes in the box but use the force flash anyway.

Waptiti >> If the light sensor hole isn't big enough maybe the camera thinks it needs flash. Have you tried it outside of the housing? just a thought.

Sorry I can't help from my experience but all I can say is go for it.

Rob

Reaction score
I cut out all the sensor holes on my camera and have set it in auto mode 3 times.  It works just fine.
But if you put the camera in a shady spot, yes it may flash every time.  I will continue to use auto flash mode.

glen71

Reaction score
Feathermax - You don't mention if you have a timer between the sensor and camera shutter. Some are using forced flash to avoid multiple pics from one sensor trip without adding a time delay circuit.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
glen71

Some are what?

How can force flash make any diff in timing?

Tinhorn

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Tinhorn,
If your cam is set to forced flash, the flash will need to recharge after each pic.  This can take from ~8 to ~15 seconds, during that time no pics can be taken so it's sort of like having a short "no picture" timer.

Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
I see said the blind man to the deaf cop.....

Tinhorn

Possum

Reaction score
I used the forced flash on one and auto on the other.  I cut the sensor holes in the 2nd one.  It still flashes everytime.  Mine are all mounted in shade locations using ISO400 speed Fuji film.  I have noticed better pics from the auto mode camera but this is probably due to the extra large flash hole.  I went from 1 inch to 2 inches and gained a lot of light on the outskirts of the picture.  The color was much lighter in the pics bringing out details I did not see in the last set with the 1 inch hole.  I do test in the exact same location when I test new things.  That way I can compare objectively.  

By the way, I think the best way to get around the theft problem is to do more research into the IR aspects of filming.  I don't know much about it, but am learning more everyday.  No Flash, No See.

Top Bottom