Auto focus on the owl pf, yes or no?

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
Looking at some of the post of new cams on here i see that some people are making the lens hole in there case big enough to exspose the auto focus lens. Mine is not and the pics seem fine. I thought that the auto focus only worked if you held the shutter half way down for the camera to focus, then snaped your pic. If this is the case then why make the hole in the case any bigger than you have to?
Did i do it wrong by not exsposing the auto focus lens? Thanks for any help or advice. Mike

MBullism

Reaction score
I cut the holes for mine, working on the assumption that it can't hurt...  I figure if they went to all the trouble to design and manufacture it, I'm not gonna disable it.

Worked great so far...

INshedpicker

Reaction score
Well, this topic has been beat to death a few times, but I'll give you my answer.  After all, everyone is entitled to MY opinion :smile-big-blue:

No, you didn't do it wrong.  Yes the autofocus works without an extended 1/2 press.  Read up in your manual on "Focus Locking," to understand the use of a 1/2 press before taking a pic.  Focus locking is not usefull however in a trail cam.

Bottom line:  I geat pics as clear as you'd want without the autofocus elements exposed.

(Edited by msfelton at 7:58 pm on May 27, 2002)

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
Thanks guys, Im new at this and did not see any other post on it yet, Guess i should have checked around. Thanks again for the reply. Mike

woodsman

Reaction score
Not sure if it makes a difference ,(non that I can tell) I do cut out all the holes  

bat

Reaction score
Just my 2¢, it does say in the troubleshooting part.  The photographs are blurred...cause---When the shutter was released, the AF emitter/sensor were blocked....
Remedy---Ensure that the AF emitter/sensor are not blocked etc.  I leave mine unblocked "just in case".  I understand the half/shutter stuff but it doen't hurt to leave it unblocked.  bat

Archilochus

Reaction score
In most situations with the Owls, it does not seem to make any difference.  On some other cams, having the AF sensors exposed makes a big difference.  So if you're ever trying out another cam, don't assume what's works for the Owls will work for that cam.
Can't hurt to sut the hole a bit bigger though.....

Archilochus' 0.02

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, it looks like i will just let well enough alone. As my old pappy always said ..."Son, if it aint broke, don't fix it" Mike

shrtcirkt

Reaction score
I dont cut the extra holes out anymore. I have pics of deer walking into the camera from over 30' down to about 10' and the pics are clear and sharp all along the way.
Just more work that is not necessary... IMO

davered1

Reaction score
I have never cut the AF holes either, think some are cutting them now just because it's the size of the UV filter they have. ALL CANON cameras used here take just as good pics without the AF exposed!!

Top Bottom