Average Bad pics per roll?

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I can't be the only one with a big stack of "bad" and partial animal pictures. I seem to get 2-5 bad pics per 24 exposures. These are pics that I can see anything in, even though there may be something there, or something just ran by and the owl was to slow on charging the flash cap. I was just wondering how many bad pics others get? Are there any ways to reduce the number any more, besides the obvious(point at the sun, etc..)? I am using the RS pir on all my cameras as of right now.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi CB,
Sounds about average - but the number can vary wildly.  Sometimes a whole roll of nothin if some small animals were bust in front of the cam - other times a whole roll of "good" shots.

I chuck all the bad ones - don't like to remind myself of the wasted film & $$ :-(

Archilochus

MBullism

Reaction score
I think I get 5 or so- sometimes more, sometimes less... (mostly more LOL)  alot of the "bad" shots I get are immediately before or after a good one....  I just chaulk it up to the price of doing "business".

M

woodsman

Reaction score
It's part of the game some good for some bad ,It's 5-6 bad out of 24 and 2-3 test shots of me:shake-head-blue:

MCinIL

Inactive
Reaction score
I have several pics where I have been trying out new ideas and have from them a few bad pics and also when I was listening to another hunting buddy about where is best to mount the cam. I should have read all the posts first and then had not so many bad pics. Now on trails the cams work great but on baits I have had to learn or adjust the time delay so a whole roll isn't used in one night. Having 146 counts in a night is just wrong.  I set it on a trail and the counts match the pics, 16-24 depending on the trail. Maybe soon I'll have them figured out but then come fall they will change. Ha.   MC.

http://community.webshots.com/user/mcinil

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
About 5 to 7 per 24 exp. roll. Sometimes if the sun is shining through the trees and the wind is blowing I will get several false pics. This eats up some film. Can't wait to go digital.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having this happen. I never really was upset about it, just wanted to see if it's normal. I think it must be the sensitivity of the PIR. I have borrowed my friends Trailtimer PhotoHunter several times and never got a "bad" pic. The 2-5 were from my better rolls, I did have one that had 19 bad pics, a warm day with the sun on the camera. I guess you can only minimize the chances of bad pics by placement of the cam.

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Coyotebandit, on your friend's photohunter did you ever get any false pics? I know a guy that has one and he said he never got a false pic. I wonder if their sensor isn't as sensitive?

Matt in MO

Reaction score
My bad pics get left at Walmart.

1) Take film to Walmart one hour processing
2) Pick up envelope of pictures
3) Stay at the counter and review the pictures.
4) Hand them the pile of "bad" photos and say "I don't want these"
5) They re-price the developing cost. I usually save $2-4 on each pack.

I got so I would toss good photos of just does, too.  My three cams are in storage waiting for the bucks to get some antlers.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
TNDEERHUNTER,

As far as I know he has never got a false pic from his photohunter, but then again he has never got a pic of any animal smaller than a coon. I think it's not as sensitive, and it doesn't pick up the smaller critters and birds.

JoelM

Reaction score
Hey Guys ..I have had a couple of rolls of just trees too. My store camera doesn't seem to be as sensitive as the homebrew Camera. I get very few faulse pics on the store camera. I am not complaining mind you. I love the homebrew cameras and am making my second just an observation. My question is to the digital guys. Does the savings on film and developing offest the cost of the batteries the digital camera goes through?????

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
Last digital setup only had four out of 66 pictures that had nothing in them and I contribute that to the time the digital takes to power up.  Of course, they don't bother you anyway since they don't cost anything but he electricity to recharge the batteries.  Had it pointed dead into the evening sun and all of evening pictures had deer in them.  The sensitivity adjustment and the narrow field of view seems to help a lot.  Also, the amount of vegatation near and around the sensing area is important.  This area is clear of vegatation so the false pictures are minimized even pointing into the sun.

I have had this same digital setup in a pine thicket with vegatation everywhere and at 10:00AM during the summer it would false trigger no matter where I set the sensitivity  until late that afternoon but it was thick thick with cover and it was hot hot during the summer time days.

Looking into the clock idea for shutdown during time frames.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Batterys for a digital are nothing. I have used the same set of Ni-MH rechargables in my Nikon Coolpic for abt 3 years. You can leave them in the charger continuously, and the cost abt $20 for 4 of them. Make battery cost a thing of the past. (Unless your unit gets swiped)

Butch

Latest Posts

Top Bottom