Avoiding the crowds on public hunting lands.

Masterhunter

Reaction score
Been scouting (only have public land available right now), and the land has two rivers and a huge lake with pockets of scattered public hunting areas around it. I don't have a boat (might have to get a canoe) and the river edges are thick with brush and the surrounding sand is soggy. There aren't that many parking spots along the areas (designated parking) and I need some ideas.
1. Since the areas are broken up in many areas, should I try to hunt the smaller ones or the larger ones & why?

2. Would it be stupid to "hide" my tree stands in the general area and set it up the morning of the hunt? Or should I just hang it and hope its not discovered (I have several)?

3. How do I avoid the other hunters and find unpressured deer?

4. What about parking my vehicle in one of the designated parking areas and rideing my mtn. bike down the road and stashing it in the thick cover (also lock it up)?

5. Since the lake is so huge would a canoe be too small to get around in? There are so many miles of river that it would take a lot of paddleing to get to some of the public hunting areas. Would a trolling motor withstand that much trolling?

6. Should I avoid the easy to get to areas and focus on the out of the way areas?

7. Besides the mast how can I find other food sources in areas I don't have time to throughly scout?

Please answer whatever you can with what you would do. Thanks!!

Mountain Cur

Reaction score
Masterhunter, go to thebowsite.com, then where it allows you to go to a state, click on Louisiana, the go to the louisiana bowhunter conference (a talk forum), when you get ther scroll down the list until you see the topic "personal website", last dated post is june 10th. Very thoroughly check out that guys website, he has some very interesting tactics for hunting public land.

Masterhunter

Reaction score
Mtn. Cur, couldn't get on the site. Do you have the exact web address? Thanks & I'll check it out.

Masterhunter

Reaction score
Got on the site and its great, he has sure taken a lot of whitetails. Haven't seen any posts yet about avoiding the crowds yet but he can sure pick the right spots to hunt.

doorgunner

Reaction score
I cannot find the website (bowsite.com). Can someone post the url, so that I can sponge some tips off of this guy. Thanks!

Masterhunter

Reaction score
www.bowsite.com will get you there. Then go to the State Bowhunting Forums & put in Louisiana, then Personal Website dated June 10. From there go to Warrens personal website. LOADED with great info.

rickyc

Reaction score
hey masterhunter, a trolling motor and a good deep cycle battery will go a long way. there is a bit more effort involved using a boat, but, they can get you into some good area's away from the crowds. i have done well using my boat to get to spots that i couldn't have gotten to any other way, plus the fishing is pretty good come bow season too
be safe and good luck

doorgunner

Reaction score
Forum only goes back to July 25th. Bummer, good public land information is hard to come by.

davidj7

Reaction score
Here's the direct link to the site
warrens website

Avoid the crowds by going deep into the woods and early. It might take longer to get to your stands or drag out a deer, but some hunters aren't willing to go that far. Stick with the out of the way areas. Hunt during the week if job allows you to.

The mt. bike idea is good. I have seen pictures of hunters that rig there bike up to hold a treestand and bow. They also paint them custom camo. They use them to get deeper into the woods. It depends on the terrain too. Nice long flat fire roads would be the best.

Good luck,

Latest Posts

Top Bottom