Awesome Memories At Hoss Hog Bowhunting Adventures!

Mikey88

Reaction score
I had heard a ton of good things about this place but for me seeing is believing! My buddy Joe and I rolled up to the ranch about 12 on Friday and were welcomed by one of the owners Mike. We unloaded all our coolers and gear and were given the 411 about the ranch. The other owner Tony offered to film my hunt and I took him up on it. We were up in our stand by 2 and I was finally ready to take my first big game animal with my bow! The stand was awesome and the views were even better. We saw 2 beautiful Barbados rams crossing the hillside, 5 nice Toms come to the feeder and stay for 10 minutes, and finally a huge boar with nice cutters pushing 300 lbs. Unfortunatley, he stayed 60 yards out and never came in to feed. The wind was swirling and it was COLD. No shots were taken Friday afternoon but all the other guys in the stands saw good boars but being the first night they decided to hold off.

Saturday was much of the same- swirling winds but lots of animals seen. I was in a different stand but it was just as good as the other the day before. Its an awesome experience to be up in a stand and watch an animal that is only 20 yards away and has no idea you are there watching it! Stand hunting is something everyone should give a shot because there's nothing like seeing the white's of an animals eyes, hearing it eat, and smelling it in all its glory. Just before dark Tony and I spot two nice boars one bad ass looking russian with a 5 inch main and jet black, and a big brown boar with great teeth. I decide for the russian but he was 40 yards out and I didn't think he was going to get any closer. I draw back and let my arrow fly dead on until it shatters a small branch 10 yards from the boar. Lesson learned make sure you have clearance on your 20 pin even though your shooting your 40! The russian bolts at the sound of the shattered branch but the big brown trots over to a small opening and looks back. He is quartering towards at just under forty. I shoot again and sadly hit him farther back than planned. He squeals and runs just out of sight. Another lesson learned never shoot unless your 100% sure that its a shot I can ace! We give him time and start trailing him but its dark and his heavy blood seems to disapear suddenly. The guides are out there on their hands and knees in the dark following a big wounded boar and loving every second of it! Disgusted with myself and after an hour of watching these guys bust their ass on my behalf I tell them lets pick up the trail in the morning. Back at camp Duknuts and his crew were celebrating a successful day with a nice boar and two awesome Black Hawaiian Rams. I hated being a party pooper but I was sick to my stomach and was focused on finding my boar. Sunday morning we were back on the trail of my boar. The blood disapears and seems to indicate that he doubled back and headed for the thick stuff. Joe, myself, Tony and Mike, search high and low for 2 more hours without a trace of him. I'm sick to my stomach and ready to declare bowhunting a little to difficult for my skills when Joe sneaks around the corner and asks if I'm ready for redemption. Without hesitation we sneak around the corner and see a nice boar feeding 30 yards away. Just then 3 smaller hogs come down the hill and head for the boar. He starts chomping his teeth and the other hogs stop dead in their tracks recognizing his dominance! I sneak to 20 yards and draw on him. Just then he moves off into some manzanita. I was so close to squeezing off and would have yesterday but now recognize the cost of a bad hit. Suddenly he turns to square up on the 3 hogs and comes out of the manzita. I draw and squeeze off sending my arrow right through his lungs. I watch as the boar wobbles and smacks into a tree tumbling down the hill with my arrow sticking out of his side. He comes to rest 50 yards down hill. The best part about it was that Mike, Tony, and Joe all were right there to share in this experience after all the hard work they put in on tracking earlier. I can't even explain the difference in the feelings between making a bad shot and making a great shot! I have learned so much about bowhunting this last weekend and couldn't have asked for better guys to share it with! This was the best weekend of hunting I've ever had and Hoss Hog is top notch! Seeing is believing and I'm hooked!

Hitechhunter

Reaction score
When you say "coming into the feed", do you mean bait? What were they using?

MJB

Banned
Reaction score
Good job on the second pig!

Some lessons are better learned the hard way!

bsbowhunter

Reaction score
WHERE IS THIS RANCH? IS IT CALIF.? I THINK I WOULD LIKE TO GET A PIG!

BDB

Reaction score
Congrats on your harvest, sounds like a hell of a trip. Bow hunting definitely has highs and lows. The key is to learn from each of them. Congrats on your first big game bow kill

forkehornreggie

Reaction score
Mikey, I have shot numerous animals with my bow but every time it is still un-freakin-real. Congrats dude. I told you so!!!!!

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
great hog
is this a high fence operation? im pretty sure you cant hunt over feeeders for hogs
or turkeys in this state, but i think you can whack um if its put and take?[the hogs anyways] just trying to see what type of
deal is running up there as it sounds like a blast for an archery hunt,can you give us a bit more info?
congrats again

Mikey88

Reaction score
Hoss Hog BowHunting Adventures is located just over an hour from Sacramento. It is 600 acres of high fenced rolling hills and thick bedding areas. There are feeders at each of the stands and they have rice and grain I believe in each one. Although it is fenced I never felt like I was in an enclosure. In fact the only time I saw the fence is when I entered into the ranch. I know when people say fenced it makes it seem like a piece of cake barn yard type operation, but trust me it is so far from that. These hogs are smart and you need to make a great archery shot or its over! One thing you must do is stay in your stand until dark or your going to miss out. My buddy got antsy and got down from his stand and just as he reached the ground a huge boar was coming in and he got busted! The guides Mike and Tony are true bow hunters and operate the place like a bow hunters paradise. All I can say is give it a shot and I'm sure you'll love it. They are booked up months in advance so the word is out!

Turkey hunting is outside the fenced area.

hosshoghunting.com

rwlittle

Reaction score
Atta-boy!!!

That place rocks!! I am going there on the last weekend of April and I can not wait!! Which stands did you hunt? I highly recommend this place, the owners Mike and Tony treat you like best friends and definately go out of their way to make your hunt epic.

Mikey88

Reaction score
I hunted out of stands 3,4,5 and 6! Big hogs were seen in all of these but both my shots came from 4! Did you fill your spots, Ron?

Top Bottom