Axis

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
So I've looked at every picture I can find (Some great animals on here!) what else should I be looking for in an Axis buck? Thanks....

ltdann

Reaction score
Well, I learned alot on my recent trip to Texas in search of the elusive tropy Axis buck. I guess it depends on which orginization you want to score it. I went with SCI.

Their minimum for a bronze medallion is 120 and the gold goes 147 7/8. Look at their scoring sheet for Axis (method 21T-available on their website) and you'll get a feel for what your looking for. Mainbeam height is important, Beam spread is important as is the cuddle tines(big ones in front). Base mass is measured as well as all the other tines. It's tough to judge with the bino's, but the bigger horns the better. We thought for sure the buck below would go gold but it missed by 3 3/8. It scored unofficailly at 144 4/8 (gotta wait for the taximan to finish).

[attachment=51107:p1000208.JPG]

To give you an idea, the mainbeams were 31 inchs, 24" spread, cuddle tines were 10" and 12". Base mass was around 6"

I understand there are other org's that will score exotics (texas exotics?) but I'm not familiar with them. If your not after horns, big one with the widest butt you can find (male). The buck above was 250 lbs on the hoof and yield 140 lbs of processed meat.

When and where are you going to hunt?

Attachments

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
THanks Dan, very useful...I leave Friday to hunt a ranch out of Sonora, TX...

Glass eye

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ('Ike' @ HM @ Apr 8 2008, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
THanks Dan, very useful...I leave Friday to hunt a ranch out of Sonora, TX...[/b]
Good luck on your hunt. I'm guessing you'll be bowhunting. Don't know what you paid for this hunt but it's cheaper in Hawaii and you can kill as many as you like. Next february, you're invited.

ltdann

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ('Ike' @ HM @ Apr 8 2008, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
THanks Dan, very useful...I leave Friday to hunt a ranch out of Sonora, TX...[/b]

Sonora's not to far from where we hunted. LOTS of animals of all kinds down there.
Turkey season should be in full swing as well. Good luck and bring back foto's. You'll love the meat.

Duknutz

Reaction score
Good Luck George!
Go have a blast and take some pictures....shoot a biggun'.....
And George my neighbor Freeworth said to say hi to ya...........Ron

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Duknutz @ Apr 8 2008, 03:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Good Luck George!
Go have a blast and take some pictures....shoot a biggun'.....
And George my neighbor Freeworth said to say hi to ya...........Ron[/b]
Thanks guys....

Ron, no way!
You live next to the crazy man!?!? LoL To funny, Mike's a great guy tell him Hola from me also, small world!

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
George, Axis are like Mulies...your lookin for a 30 incher. Just not in width like a Mulie but in lenth of the main beam (height). Over 30" is the Holy Grail so to speak. ltdann has it right with his post, it's going to take a combo of the beams, spread, length and mass. Most importantly though...just find one that YOU like and lay him out!

Not a very good pic but this one I took outta Kerrville went 33 1/2"

Muggs

Reaction score
Hi gang,

I had a couple of axis pics to post but am have not done it before. The computer's saying that the file size is too large.

A little help.

Thanks

Gomer76825

Reaction score
[attachment=51119:axis_tailgate.JPG]

Here is my big guy taken in Brady, Tx. he was just over 300lbs on the hoof, and went gold medal.

Attachments

Muggs

Reaction score
Here's a buck that my son recently shot on Lanai. The main beams were 28" long. You can't tell by the picture but he was excited about it.

XDHUNTER

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Glass eye @ Apr 8 2008, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ('Ike' @ HM @ Apr 8 2008, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good luck on your hunt. I'm guessing you'll be bowhunting. Don't know what you paid for this hunt but it's cheaper in Hawaii and you can kill as many as you like. Next february, you're invited.
[/b][/quote]

Breck put me on the list....

I'ke sorry for the hijack...

XDHUNTER

Reaction score
Good luck on your trip... are going guided? if you are, lf the guide tells you it's big and take it ....you better do it. i learn my lesson in Uvalde ranch with Jimmy.

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
Wow houlihhoop that Axis is different! Hope you had it mounted...nice.

'Ike' @ HM

Reaction score
Thanks guys, some great bucks...My trip got moved up a day, so trying to get packed and things. Hopefully have some photo's and report when I return on Tuesday, good time either way I'm sure...

bzzboyz

Reaction score
Took this one in 2004. If I remember right it was 30" on the left and 31" on the right. Also has two extra points to make it an an unofficial 8 point, but for it to be an official 8 point, those points must account for at least 10% of the total score which these didn't.

At home.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom