AZ Elk Sheds

AZ Jim

Reaction score
Spotted about 30 plus bulls this weekend. Only four of them still had head gear. The others had only 1-2 inches of new growth.

Looked all over the place and only found part of an antler that had been broken off during a fight, but no sheds.

There was evidence of alot of foot traffic and quad trails, so I assume others have already been scouring the area.

I was seeing the bulls in what I would call their winter range or transition areas back to their summer range. Mostly in the junipers and some pinion.

My question to the more experienced shed hunters out there is.....

Do the bigger bulls drop their antlers in the lowest elevations of their winter range or do they start heading back up then drop their antlers somewhere in between?

Other question would be, how quickly after they drop do they start re-growing, and how fast do they grow ? I had heard an inch per day. Is that accurate ?

AZ Jim

deershed

Reaction score
I couldn't tell you much about the elk.I've done some elk shed hunting upstate Pa. and I can say they can be one place today and 5 miles away by morning.How much of an area have you searched?

Found one

Reaction score
In my experiences with elk shed I have learned it is best not to over think the process. As far as the bigger bulls dropping lower, that could be. I have noticed that they tend to drop first though. The main factor in your case are those people that are in there pushing those elk around. Its not uncommon for them to head up into the trees and hang back for a couple of days. An elks main concern right now, or even three weeks ago is to find proper food. I have seen areas hammered by elk for a short time and then they just dissapear, as if the food source was no longer sufficient. Every year it gets worse and worse, people get so anxious they go into these areas to early. The only thing I can reccomend is to go often and go early, and don't forget to scour areas that you may have already been through. Good luck.

MULIES4EVER

Reaction score
An inch a day is correct. Also they will start budding within days of shedding.

AZ Jim

Reaction score
So it is possible that these bulls could have dropped only a week ago. I think I will make it back up this weekend.

Thanks for the feed back.

AZ Jim

fossilman

Reaction score
Hunting elk shedds,use a spotting scope or other optics,it helps on the walking..................Its not uncommon to put in a ten mile hike while shedd hunting,so pack a lunch and lots of water.....
You keep at it and everything will fall into place......Good luck

Latest Posts

Top Bottom