B.S. Opportunity

Swampy

Reaction score
 Hey all you duck addicts, feeling a little down? Need a fix? Rather than driving to your local marsh and wallowing in the mud lets try a different approach. How about sharing the strangest, goofiest, most embarrassing things that have happened to you while hunting. I know that there are some wild ones out there. It will relieve some stress and I am sure it will make for some good reading. I will even go first.  

While hunting a blind with my partner at little dry creek, (who shall remain nameless), a (unlucky?) greenhead circles the spread. It's my partners shot so he waits till it swings over at about 30 yards, jumps up and stones that sucker. High fives all around. The wonder mutt does a great job of retrieving the bird, even bringing it to hand. (Shocked, stunned hunters.) My partner finds a band on it. His first banded mallard! More high fives! We are  hunkering down watching a pair work when out of the corner of my eye I notice a lone greenhead has snuck in low and is flying away. I jump up and take it. Wonder mutt has been watching the other birds so it is not the best retrieve. ( Grumbling hunters.) Another banded mallard! More high fives! That's when my partner starts to look for his mallard. It is nowhere to be found.

You guessed it, his bird had to be shot twice. All we can figure is the duck took a glancing pellet off his head and was knocked out. He must have came to and decided to vacate the area. Classic case of shoot and release. Who got to keep the bird? Who do you think?          

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
A buddy and me are at Wister, set up for some fast teal gunning. I knock one down in the early light and since we didn't have his dog along I start to wade out for the retrieve. I had already been baptised in a hole of this pond so I was reluctant to take my shotgun but I just knew we'd see birds if I didn't.

Buddy says, "Go ahead, I'll cover us" tucking his auto into his shoulder. I wade out and get the bird and turn to wade back and the buddy says, "See, I told you we wouldn't have any birds come in while you were out there without  your shotgun."

Over his shoulder in the rising morning sun I see a flight of about 60 GW teal get up out of the tulies and head straight for us on the deck. I smiled back at my buddy and said, "No birds huh? Take a peek behind you." As he turned the flight veered straight up over us and he emptied his shotgun. Not one feather came down. I struggled back to the levy trying not to giggle too loud. All he could  do was mutter something about what the odds of missing all those teal with 3 shots were.

I can still close my eyes and see that flight in the morning sun over his shoulder.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Drove from San fran. to Sac. NWR in NASCAR time. Man I'll tell you I was smokin. 95 down 505 and 90 plus down I-5.

Hit the check station just in time  I had three buddys waiting for me. We drove out to the lot to put my costume on and ooops I forgot my waders.

It sure took along time to drive home that morning.

hntndux

Reaction score
A buddy and I were hunting Gray Lodge several years ago.  We set our decoys and found a small levee to sit on.  After several minutes of getting things just right my friend and I simultaneously noticed the great smell of dog dung.  After a quick check of the shoes we decide to move down a bit to get away from the smell.  Unfortunately, the smell followed us and required a closer inspection which uncovered a nice healthy streak down my friends coat.  Guess what, he always wears his coat while setting decoys from that day forward.  I've never laughed so much in my life as I did that day!

BigDog

Reaction score
I used to have a lab/golden mix that was always good for laughs. I remember him and I going down a sleugh one day in my little duck boat. Clipping along pretty good. Came around a corner and put up a flock of Canvas backs. He went to one side, then the other. Meanwhile I am compensating. Pretty soon we both zagged at the same time. The boat went in one direction, he went in another. Splash. Then there was the time he got his first goose. I only broke a wing. He and that goose must have played tag for 15 minutes. He finally got it by the head and brought it in. I had already fell on the ground laughing. And I could go on but I bet most  of you have good dog stories.

Jay

Reaction score
I think I posted this on the old board but here goes again.

A couple of years ago I won a Franchi semi-auto at a pheasants forever dinner for $20.

I'm a mossberg pump kind of guy so this Franchi was in a whole new class for me. I strutted around, showed it off to everbody I knew and was generally obnoxious about the whole thing.

Anyway so I took it out to the pheasant club. Get to the field. Pull out my $20 Franchi. Open the action and leaned it against a tree while I got the dogs out. I got my 12 year old lab out first. Then while I'm getting my second dog out I see my old dog calmly walk over, lift his leg and piss right into the open action of my hot-shot gun.    

jerry d

Reaction score
Didn't happen to me but my hunting buddy and I were hunting pheasants at Suisun Marsh and decided to go back to the truck and have a cup of coffee while the field we wanted to hunt cleared out.

He's a Browning fan and I like those ol' Remington 870 Wingmasters, so it's a constant bantering as to which is the better gun.

He'd just bought a new Browning and leaned it against the tailgate while pouring his coffee.

Like Jay, his dog walked over and pee'd on the stock.

He said, "Did you see that, that dumb ass dog just pee'd on my new gun!!!".

Sez I, " Yep, looks like he feels the same way about a Browning as I do".

Funniest sight I've ever seen, him chasing his dog out across the field trying to kick his ass.

E A Hunt

Reaction score
Hunted Sac with Jay and Bigdog and Jay was schoolin us. I think he had his limit in 4 1/2 shots or something. When he wasn't looking I peed on his gun.

True story

Jay

Reaction score
You musta been drinking castor oil or something cause that gun was shootin' like greased lightning. ;)

Advertisement

Top Bottom