B4 ?

.300Savage

Reaction score
So I have never really thought much about hunting it as it's further away then our property and mostly private but, any thoughts/pointers?

other than watch the boundrys and if i start to smell that smell high tail it (pun intended) back where i came from?

I find myself in a bit of a pickle, I'm quitting my job to go to school full time (ill know for sure in a few weeks) and will be unable to hunt at all during most B season other than opening weekend which brings my attention to B4. I should have scouted it about a month ago but my inlaws flaked and be bailed on the lost coast backpacking trip we had planned (now im wishing i had gone any way :smiley_doh:) any pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

GRAYLIGHT

Banned
Reaction score
You're probably going to have a hard time getting answers to questions like that because California is tough to hunt and no ones going to just slip you some good info...

Find an access point on a map... Forestry...Wilderness and if you're hunting the early archery, hunt high... Look for burns and hunt them, find water and potentially hunt around it if it's getting traffic! Now before you've done that, hike at least 3-5 miles or further on the opener and you could be alone but maybe not... Glass, glass and glass some more! That's about as close to freebies as your gonna get and I hope it helps you... Good luck!

Speckmisser

Reaction score
.300, I can't say I've heard much discussion about B4 on this site, so don't be surprised that no one has chimed in. Best bet is to get the maps and start doing research. Blacktails are blacktails... they like the same habitat and have the same habits. If you can find that on public land in B4, you're probably just as well off as anyone else.

Wish I had more to offer, but I've never hunted that zone either.

ak_o_sniper

Reaction score
We hunted there last year on opening day. Not a shot was heard anywhere by the 4 of us on opening day and the day after. The area is super dense and steep. All we saw the two days was two does and one fawn. Also a mountain lion close to the ocean. Talked to a couple other guys there and the only buck they saw was a spike. I would wait for the rest of B zone to hunt, but if you do live close, you should give it a try. Most of the bucks taken out of B-4 are on private property, so if you have access that would be the way to go.

.300Savage

Reaction score
yeah i would love to wait and spend the time i was palnning on our property as it burned last year but my start date for school is the monday after general B zone opens so that gives me 2 days to fill my freezer or have little to no meat to eat the rest of the year and possibly the following year also (90% of the meat i consume is game so no hunt = meat)

my school schedule is going to be extreamly demanding and if i will only be able to see my Wife on the weekends, though she is extreamly understanding of my addiction (hunting) she's not so hot on the idea of not seeing me for 6 weeks.

Thank you all for what you have said, I didn't and don't expect anyone to put there honeywhole in my hands just wondering if any body had had any success in a general area. I will unfortunately not be doing archery this year i effed up my sholder last year and still have not picked my bow back up yet (now im kicking my self even harder for that)

i really have never seen much discussion of B4 either but, i figured it was atleast worth the effort of asking.

well if nothing else ill try to post some sceanic pics but, i know i will have little time in the woods in the future so ill give it the ol' college try and hope my man hasn't used up all the magoo our family is alowed

i did a fair bit of reading on the kings range for the backpacking trip i didn't go on and there are suposed to be a couple of burns that are a couple years old now and if i remember correctly there is said to be water in the area.

a positive attitude, will to push my self and intuition will hafta make up for scouting and local knowledge.

thanks again Chris

.300Savage

Reaction score
Ak O what part of the zone were you hunting if you don't mind me asking?

northernbuck

Reaction score
i hunt this zone every year, and i do fairly well. I do hunt mostly private land but my biggest buck out there has been on the little bit of public that there is, i shot this one two years ago(its the 4x3) and my buddy took the other one about two hours earlier also on private land. Try kings rane consevation area, specificly spanish ridge, ther is some nice open draws on that hunt

Attachments

.300Savage

Reaction score
northbuck

thanks i really appreciate it :prayin :. I had big plans for this season, i was going to get to spend more time and longer amounts of time afield then i decided to go and go to school :smiley_doh: yah know how best laid plans end up.

I looked at my blm map of the area and i see there are rds to get me there but will the 2 gates right at the beginning of smith etter rd be locked? as it would be a real P.i.t.a. to drag a buck like 20 something miles, given it would be alot easier on the road then just humpin through the brush with it.

again thanks

Last edited:

ak_o_sniper

Reaction score
We hunted the Kings Range last year. We hunted along Spainish ridge, Kinsey ridge, and then bear trap. Along the coast it was very steep. You will problay do better by hunting out of the mouth of the Mattole River and hiking through that way to the Kings Range. One piece of advice, if you are hunting the steep ridges and don't want to hike down, roll large rocks down into the valleys to see if anything comes out. The noise will cause any critters to either move or come up the other side.

.300Savage

Reaction score
yeah we have beagles we run on our property but, being public land and not wanting to have to chase him through a "garden" im gunna have to piss my beagle off and leave him at home.

how bout for bears other than near the camp sights? Ive heard big flats is like bear mecca as it's where most people will camp but Im not sure how DFG would view me hunting over that much "bait"

northernbuck

Reaction score
at spanish ridge the first gate should be unlocked but the second gate is kinda hit and miss as to whether it is locked. do you have a quad? as to ak_o_snipers reply to hunt the mouth of mattole its really good grounds but it is a warzone out there be prepared for lots of other hunters but there is a decent amount of ggod bucks there

steve45

Reaction score
I have hunted b4 on private and the lost coast. Good hunting and bearable temps. I would recommend hiking the lost coast you will find a place to hunt.

.300Savage

Reaction score
ill keep that in mind, yeah i might do some of the lost coast trail in scouting if i don't find any bucks worth tying to a tree tell season opens (joking of cource) i don't own a quad but i might be able to borrow one or a dirt bike, though id rather not have to try to ride a dirt bike with a buck strapped to me/it

northernbuck

Reaction score
if you do decide to try and hunt the mouth of the mattole river, find a way to cross the river and get up on the north side of the river. very few people hunt it, get a map because only part of it is public blm land. i hunted it last year and jumped a monstrous 4x4 in ther but he spotted me first and i never got a shot

.300Savage

Reaction score
thanks again northbuck. il give that area a look see. I contacted bfg the other day and reieved an email from the biologist for the area, Im going to give him a call today and pick his brain, Ill share my findings later this afternoon.

yeah ive decided weather it be a long weekend before opening day or some time before im gunna get atleast 2-3 days of scouting in.

strange when i realized i was not going to be able to hunt my property much this year at first i was pretty bummed but now im actually really exited.

again thanks to all for the info/pointers

good luck to all this season

.300Savage

Reaction score
i talked to the DFG biologyst this morning and he didn't have a whole lot of extra info that you guys hadn't already given me just confirmed most of it. He said the gates should be open but suggested confirming with BLM (Ill be calling them later).

so thanks again for all the help

hntndux

Reaction score
I'll be hunting the opener near Garberville on club property, landowner says they've seen an increase in deer this year. Hopefully that applies to the public land areas as well. Good luck!

.300Savage

Reaction score
thanks i hope it does and good luck to you as well.

the bio. said the heard is stable, no huge up or down but that they ghost out alot. but as thick as the country is suposed to be that does not suprise me.

needless to say im doin as much prep work as possible.

northernbuck

Reaction score
.300savage ill be out there most of the season ill either be in a red lifted jeep with nor-cal sticker on winshield or in a white tacoma feel free to flag me down

Top Bottom