Back from Alaska

deadducks

Reaction score
Just returned from vacation in Alaska.  Wife and I stayed with friends that live in Wasilla, about 1 hour from Anchorage.  Fished in friends boat on the Little Susitna for 3 King Salmon 23lb, 24lb, and 25 lbs.  Man can they fight, plus dealing with the current.  Wife used a spinning outfit lined with 20lb line and I used a casting rod with 15lb line.  I will use 20 - 25 lb line next time.  We had to worry about the fish getting into the trees and laydowns near the shore.  I guess thats half the fun though.  We flew to Homer and chartered a 6 pack from North Country.  Capt. named Joe.  Highly recommend him.  Took us to the Berhing Islands (sp).  Said it was his first trip to this spot this year.  We fished from 165-300 feet of water.  Tossed about 40-50, 20-40lbrs back for the 6 of us.  We all kept limits of fish from 45-80 lbs.  Man our arms were hurting.  Bringing up fish from 300 is not fun.  Well it was a blast and the fish will taste great.  Saw approx. 10-12 moose, 12 Bald eagles, and many ducks and canadas.  Also the famed Puffin birds of Alaska.  They shut down the Kenai for fishing while we were there.  The locals said that is really going to hurt the guides and businesses in the area. Low salmon count.  

Hook

Reaction score
deadducks,

Sounds like you had a blast. Did you have the fish packed and shipped home?

I'll be going in August and I am trying to line up charters out of Juneau and Ketchikan. Any advise?

Thanks,  

fowl Shooter

Reaction score
Hook,
I'm leaving for Ketchikan tomorrow night. August is a bit late for that area.

Hook

Reaction score
Fowl Shooter, I am going up there for a cruise, but want to get in a day of fishing.

Good luck on your trip. Let me know how you do.  

Top Bottom