Back from Parkfield!

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
Well, I rolled into town yesterday from being in parkfield for 3 days. The weather was warm and the piggies were smart. I got a chance to take care of a few things around the ranch and I met a great "JHO'er". Tree Doc it was a pleasure meeting/hunting with ya. Hope you had a great time up there. Tree doc spoted some pigglets on the drive back to the ranch. The sow was a few yards away and it was way to dark to get a clean shot. Thats all we saw all weekend. Did a little varmit huntin and shared a few stories. All in all, it was a great trip. Hope to do it again.

Tree Doc

Reaction score
HH714,
Had a blast, pigs or no pigs! It was great just to get out and again, I really appreciate the invite, above and beyond on your part! It was fun spending time with Gloria and Martin and neat that we happened across those people at the cafe. I'm glad I was there at the right time. My wife has already contacted Phyllis (who we saw @ cafe) and we'll be seeing her soon.

There's definitely an open seat in my blind at the Sprig Duck Club if you decide to and can find time this Waterfowl Season. I would love to have a chance to get you hooked on Quack! I have all the paraphanelia you need.

Looking forward to connecting again, maybe Carrizo and we can dust some bunnies or chase some Quail in my neck of the woods!

Keep in touch.

m57jager

Reaction score
Hey Hoghunter714,

You went back to Parkfield. Give me a call

arizona hunter

Reaction score
I hunted in Parkfield last July. It was hot during the day (100), but nice in evening. And that restuarant! Man, they give you sooo much food! I think I gained weight on the trip.

The pigs were out all night it seemed and even before you could see well enough to shoot, they were drifting into the trees. We saw one boar, but it was way to dark to shoot and he just kept on movin' to the trees.

lots of piglets and juvenils, which the guide said we could shoot, but they were so small (30 lb or less) and not even afraid of people-not very sporting.

The guide also asked me not to shoot a sow with piglets, he said that if I did, sure I would go home with a bunch of meat but that all the piglets would die since no other sow will take them in.

Would like to go back again. But would also like to find a place were there was a chance of finding pigs throughout the day, not just a few minutes before sunrise or jusrt before sunset-am I dreaming?

Tree Doc

Reaction score
AZ Hunter,
That's pretty customary hog behavior this time of year. During the cooler months when the grass greens up I think you're more likely to catch them loitering around. Sage advice from your guide on the Sow/Piglet issue. That's sound management IMO.

As for the Parkfield Cafe, given its rustic appearance, I think most would not expect the quality of food. I live about an hour from there and still consider it one of (if not thee) best restaurants around. When I make my regular, almost weekly, commutes up to Colusa during the Waterfowl Season, if the time of the day is right I swing in for dinner. The place is awesome!

HH714,
If you catch this post, how's your buddy doing?

HOGHUNTER714

Reaction score
Tree Doc,

He's hangin in there. His treatment is in full swing. So, its a waiting game to see how his body reacts to the medicine. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

arizona hunter

Reaction score
Tree Doc, thanks for the info. I will have to get my tail out ther during the cooler months.

Are there any public land areas that are huntable and productive?

Tree Doc

Reaction score
There is an area just northwest of Parkfield that as a population of hogs on it. It's BLM land but it does require some legwork to get around on it. I understand it is productive but you'll pay your dues. A bit farther south in the county in Los Padres Nat'l Forest area I have come across a lot of Pig sign, much of it fresh but it's hit an miss there. Again, lots of dues to be paid there as well in the form of muscle and time.

Top Bottom