Back from the Big Island

Glass eye

Reaction score
I won't string out the story but there's alot to tell so I'll just tell it in order with pics attached.

We arrived in kona about noon and headed straight up to Mauna Kea to about 9,000 ft to hunt black pigs, but it was very foggy, visibility was to the shoulder of the road. We couldn't hunt so we went down to sea level and camped. Next morning we returned to the hunt unit with clear skies and I glassed up a group of animals I thought to be pigs a long ways down the mountain. I drove down to them in the truck and closed the gap on foot. I got to within 50 yards of them but they weren't pigs but rather a band of ewes. I could have stuck one but I passed. When I returned to my rendevous point my partner told me he had shot a pig.

I need to free up space on my computer to download pics.

dwagoner

Reaction score
NO PICS YET!!! CMON dont keep us in suspense!!!

Glass eye

Reaction score
My friend Gayle with his pig. He shot it at 25 yards with a 308 as it was walking towards him. His back was barely visible in the tall grass.
The combo of tall grass and thick fog made hunting very difficult.

Attachments

BOHNTR

Reaction score
That's awesome man.......big time congrats.

Glass eye

Reaction score
After cutting up the pig we attempted to go to a spot that doccherry told us about, but the fog rolled in. To make matters worse, a boulder the size of large TV set ( the old kind ) rolled down an embankment and down the side of the rental truck.
Serious damage.

We took our wives so we would hunt one day and sight-see the next.

Attachments

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
Congrats! I hope there's more to the story and more pics.

Glass eye

Reaction score
Next we tried for Mouflon on Mauna Loa. Both Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa are over 13,000 ft.
I nearly got lost in the forest of ohia trees but in the process finding our way my wife found a skeleton of a really nice ram.

Attachments

Glass eye

Reaction score
Here's another pic of Mauna Loa and a Kalij Pheasant. The upland bird population is insane there. It makes Mexico look barren. I saw countless Valley Quail, Kalij Pheasants, Black / Grey / and Erkels Francolins, Rio Grand Turkeys were like doves in the Imperial valley. I'll be going back for the Upland Bird season and I'll pack some slugs in case i bump into some pigs. Long story short, I had a pig grunting about 20-30 yards in front of me and I could never see him through the tall grass and thick fog. I knocked an arrow twice on the trip but never drew back on my bow.
Towards the end I had a about a 300+ yard shot with my 308 on a moving goat and I over shot him.
I saw alot cool stuff, and lots pigs and goats outside of the hunt areas but none within legal reach. ( except for the one goat that I shot at )

Attachments

DEERSLAM

Reaction score
Beautiful pics Breck! Sounds like a great trip.
That's a dandy ram your wife found.

Q2Dude

Reaction score
Sounds like a great adventure! Thanks for the pics!!

d'hunter

Reaction score
Nice pics. Very cool ram. It must be pretty interesting to get to hunt Hawaii.

THE ROMAN ARCHER

Reaction score
supper nice photo's Glass eye! ram skull is an awesome find, cant wait to here and see more of your island hunting adventure!..................tra

Glass eye

Reaction score
Although I didn't kill anything over there, I didn't come home without a trophy.
I was certain that I was going to bring home a Black Hawaiian pig to mount and in my mind I was already planning how to mount him. I like doing life-size mounts and re-creating their natural habitat. I wanted to mount my pig this way but was concerned about how much space it might take up.
Well, I guess I'll have my life-size pig after all and it won't take up much room at all.
He's a whopping 11 lbs.
Driving the Saddle Road between Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa I found 4 fresh roadkill piglets and one was in perfect condition.
For perspective, the pic is of him laying on 12" tile squares.

Attachments

Top Bottom