Backcountry Comms

Where's Bruce?

I'm hitting AZ next week and am charging the unit and looking at service plan options now. Haven't opened the owner's manual yet but it's thick. I guess they all are for electronics anymore.

signguy

Screwed around with it today and I think it is fairly straight forward- manual is 33 pages and lots of illustrations so not too bad. Works great with the iPhone once you download the map...
I think my plan was around $22.00 a month and $19.00 to start up (40 texts a month...) which should give me more than enough texts to satisfy the wife- Certainly more than I want to text anyone period! Let's not forget that we hunt to get away from it all. :) I have already let the wife know that if I get a text it better be because someone died.

Bruce- you taking a bow or a rifle to AZ? Also (fyi)- Hammock Gear is looking at making a down UQ to attach/velcro to the Clark-

Where's Bruce?

Screwed around with it today and I think it is fairly straight forward- manual is 33 pages and lots of illustrations so not too bad. Works great with the iPhone once you download the map...
I think my plan was around $22.00 a month and $19.00 to start up (40 texts a month...) which should give me more than enough texts to satisfy the wife- Certainly more than I want to text anyone period! Let's not forget that we hunt to get away from it all. :) I have already let the wife know that if I get a text it better be because someone died.

Bruce- you taking a bow or a rifle to AZ? Also (fyi)- Hammock Gear is looking at making a down UQ to attach/velcro to the Clark-
22-250 for calling, .17HMR for bunnies (my buddy needs trap bait), 12ga for waterfowl and bow for javies. I'm modifying my UQ for this myself.

Last edited:

signguy

Just what I would take- maybe an AR for calling.
Will be calling Fri-Mon near the Salton Sea and then fly to Prescott next Thursday for some bow/javie hunting.

Did a little test on the In-Reach Explorer yesterday and I am thoroughly impressed. I downloaded a map with weigh points to the unit for a mountain bike ride and my wife was able to easily track and see progress.
Her indication was that if I did this for a multi-day backpack/hunt trip she would be able to see me moving, reaching weigh points... and know all was well. A text everyday or two would be nice just to hear how things were going...

Not a great GPS but for 99.9% of my GPS needs this will work- especially if you bring a map for backup. It's not a Garmin but then a Garmin can't get you help in an emergency. The Garmin is out of the pack and the Explorer is in at this point.

cjack

Geez!!! I thought the kids were bad with all of the text abbreviations. PLB, SAR, SE, 22-250, .17HMR, UQ ?????? Too many acronyms for me, you lost me with the first post!

Where's Bruce?

Geez!!! I thought the kids were bad with all of the text abbreviations. PLB, SAR, SE, 22-250, .17HMR, UQ ?????? Too many acronyms for me, you lost me with the first post!
Whatta noob! LOL
PLB = personal locator beacon
SAR = search & rescue
SE is a model of Inreach whereas i have the Explorer model
22-250 and .17HMR are rifle calibers
UQ = underquilt (for hammocks)

Got involved in the hunt and never used the Explorer...was focused on locating javelina and failed miserably. sigh

cjack

Thanks for the clarification and sorry about the hunt results. There's always next time and you are one hunt closer and one hunt smarter towards success!

TheGDog

So Bruce... is it pretty easy to mark waypoints while you're out and about? You know... like you just saw a pig.. so you want to make sure to mark that spot for the next year.

Is it at lest easy enough to not be a chore to do so?

Top Bottom