Backpack Contents

Irish Lad

Reaction score
I will be bow hunting for the first time this August(Southern Utah) and was wondering what to carry in my day pack. Thanks

Bond

Reaction score
I don't bring a backpack. I try to fit everything in my pockets.

What you should bring though is water. Always drink water. It's good for you.

TwoShot

Reaction score
To start with, good luck on your first archery season. It's a blast. I carry snacks, water, and Gatoraid. A couple of large ziplocks, a dragging strap, my knife, some orange marking tape, a small flashlight, two light weight orange vests (one for me, the other for any deer I have down). This is all I can think of off the top of my head. I would suggest one of those fancy shoulder harnesses for for binoculars. They keep my binos close by and up against my chest when I'm shooting.

BDB

Reaction score
A lot really depends on where I am hunting. Some areas I know really well and don't stray more than a mile from the truck. I don't take much on these trips except, snacks, marking tape, water, knives (2), compass, matches/lighter, head lamp, wind indicator powder, a pen and rope. It all fits is a small fanny pack . Other trips if I am not quite sure of the area (could get lost after dark) or I am hunting a little farther from the truck I also carry basic survival gear, foil blanket, more food, more water, rope saw and a few other odds and ends to make it through the night if I had too. Fits in a small day pack. If it's a full on backpack trip, well, that's a whole other story for gear.

Buck-eye

Reaction score
Get a pack that has a pocket for a camelback, and it will help tremendously. That way, you will have a hose to reach your water. I always pack as if I could get lost, so I have extra protein bars, first aid kit, extra knife, extra light and batteries, rope, compass. Course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong.

webhak

Reaction score
I go with a Camelbak mule (desert camo) for my javelina hunts in Arizona. Some other light (pocket camera, maps, GPS) goes in the cargo pockets of my pants or outer jacket/vest.

The Camelbak holds a skinning knife, paracord, compass, first aid kit, survival blanket, energy bars, matches, lighter, etc. Ever since a short day hike turned into an overnight survival situation several years ago, I pack light, but I pack like I'm going to be stranded for a day or two.

IrishLad, please PM me when you get a chance. I'd like to chat with you about upland birds around Cedar.

John

Latest Posts

Top Bottom