Backpacking question

Reaction score
Me and a couple of my buddies take annual backpacking trips after the spring semester gets out. The last two years we hiked around the Golden Trout Wilderness for some beautiful sights and awesome fishing. We are looking for somewhere new to go. We want to stay in California (preferably to western sierras or northern parts) and prefer wilderness areas because we are able to get fire permits and such easier. Does anyone have any suggestions, they would be much appreciated?

Thanks
Jason

dhall61

Reaction score
There is great backpacking from Bishop to Mammoth. You can go to Convict lake, and head out on any of the many trails, all with beautiful scenery.

el_vaquero

Reaction score
Well, I see that you are near San Diego. There are some nice places to backpack in that area from what I hear, but I suppose your wanting to venture out rather than staying local. I would look into Los Padres National Forest as there are many designated wilderness areas. I have done some hiking in the Sespe Wilderness and it is outstanding (close to home but some parts are so desolate you would think you're in another world almost). One good website to check out would be trails.com or go to the local REI, Sport Chalet or backpacking shop and talk to the people there, I'm sure they could point you in the right direction.

FeathersnHoof is right about Convict, too. Some real nice places to backpack. You could look into the June Lake area also.....great spot!

Let us know what you decide and post some pics when you get back!

Reaction score
Looks like were going to go back to Golden Trout Wilderness. We are going to enter from a different area that lets us hike more along the river and takes us to a few back country lakes. Leaving in 17 day, let the count down begin! Ill post pictures and trip summary when I return.

Jason

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom