backyard quail hunt

vrstull

Reaction score
Just kidding, in case any game wardens are reading. This pic is into a neighbor's yard, but about 10 birds of this 50 bird valley quail covey was in my backyard a few minutes before drinking w/in 20 feet of a living room window; from the dogs' water no less. The dogs were still kenneled. It's not half bad waking up to hear them calling and chattering so close to my bedroom window.
Vic
Redlands

jdhowe75

Reaction score
VRSTULL,
Where is Redlands do you llive? I don't get coveys like that in my back yard! Lucky Bstrd.
-jd

Rancho Loco

Banned
Reaction score
Ya, you should see the fat ones around here. They look like cannon balls with legs.
It kinda helps that some of the scratch for the chickens "accidentally" gets tossed outside the chicken pen. They're out there waiting for it in the morning.

One of the families just popped out a third brood too..

Mt Goat

Reaction score
Nice picture Vic.

I know what your talking about with hearing the birds calling. Every morning it like a live band playing around my place. Theres literaly at least 20 family groups in ear shot calling. Yesterday I took a 13 week old pup out for alittle 15 min. walk and she hunted out and found and pointed (only her 3rd time out) 5 coveys/family groups with 30 plus birds in each group. I love this time of year. Cant wait to get into them in the next month or so as they all start coveying back up. Last year I had two 200 bird coveys right behind my house, and thats not even counting the other 4-5 coveys with 40-75 birds in each group. Looks like the same things going to happen again this year.

Man I'm getting the itch to get out and hunt some birds. Sept. 18th isnt going to come fast enough.

Larry

vrstull

Reaction score
jdhowe75:
Live right off Sunset about .6 mi. east of Alesandro.
Vic

jdhowe75

Reaction score
vic-
N. Sunset and Ford. We're almost neighbors. We should hook up sometime. Goin' Dove huntin' this year?
-jd

vrstull

Reaction score
jdhowe75:
When it comes to dove I'm somewhere between indifferent and mildly interested. But I will go a few times for sure. I'm more interested in chukar, folowed by any variety of quail. PM to me sometime or email to vrstull@aol.com and let's see if we can find a mutual time to hunt.
Vic
Redlands

RANCHKID

Reaction score
Great picture Vic.

There is a horse trail near my house, and I've been watching a small family group of Valley Quail become a two family covey recently of about 25 birds. Yesterday I bumped them again with Rocket; after he had a few points on the singles and a good nose full of scent, I started looking closely at the ground where they'd been, and there were hundreds of little 1/2 inch long quail tracks. Another hatch!

I live in Dana Point. Old timers tell me it used to be some of the best quail hunting in the state down here in the '50s.

Top Bottom